mhenry14clady

Oct 17, 2009
Hey need some help, my da usually tightened my chain for me and never got round to showing me how to do it and isn't well at the minute. I was just wondering if you guys could tell me how to tighten my chain, much apreciated :)

Mar 18, 2006
Do you have the owner's manual? Instructions are in there. The rear axle needs to be pulled back slightly.There are bolts with locknuts to pull the axle back on each side of the rear of the swingarm.. First you have to loosen the axle nut with a big wrench. Don't overtighten the locknuts an the axle adjusters as this will stretch the threads on the bolts and ruin them. Whatever you do, don't tighten it too much. It should appear loose when the bike is in a normal position. What you are trying to achieve is a tiny amount of play in the chain when the countershaft sprocket, swingarm pivot, and rear axle are lined up. Usually this is when the swingarm is parallel to the ground. You can pull the suspension down with a tiedown to get things lined up. Or just bounce on the bike and have a friend feel the chain at it's tightest point.

Most bikes require about an inch or so of up and down play when sitting in a normal position. It is better to be slightly loose than too tight, for sure. Hope this helps. :) And hope your Dad gets better soon. Good luck.

Top Bottom