Mar 16, 2007
how do I tighten the chain on a 05 kx250f? anyone have a link to a good little how to article or something I could just print out and follow? I found one and was reading and it said I need to remove the shock. is this necassary or is there a different way I can do it?

Mar 16, 2007
im confused about what bolt to remove from the shock. the bolt underneath the seat? the bolt down by the swingarm? theres 2 down there. I thought it was the bolt underneath the seat started taking everything off and than realized its probably not that otherwise it would have mentioned taking off all that stuff in the article. so I understand I need to disengage the shock in order to raise the swingarm to a level position but im not sure which bolt it is that does this.

Mar 16, 2007
To measure your chain in a stretched position, it must be completely horizontal. To get to this point, the bottom rear shock bolt must be removed and the rear wheel lifted. Once in this position, the chain should have a full inch of free play.

what bolt is that?

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
The horizontal is referring to the swingarm. To be able to get the swingarm in a straight line between the front sprocket center and rear sprocket center, you must be able to either compress the shock enough for this to happen. Instead of compressing the shock, you can also take the shock loose from the swingarm, or remove the shock completely.
There are two bolts that hold the shock in place.

I realize that this info was in a magazine, so it must be infallible spot-on information...but just a heads up. A full inch of play in the chain (when the swingarm is in it's tightest position) is a bit much. On most dirtbikes, 1/2" -3/4" of total up and down slack movement is more correct.

The correct setting would be anywhere between 2%-3% of the distance between shafts, in total up and down movement of the chain when in it's tightest position.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Instead of removing the shock just compress the suspension as Jay suggests. Throw a tie down over the seat and hook each end to the swingarm. Then bounce up and down on the seat and take up the slack in the tie downs until the sprockets and swingarm pivot are in a straight line.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Dude.. Get a service manual.. (I did a lousy job washing my bike last time.. :whoa: )

Attachments

• _MG_4854.JPG
    _MG_4854.JPG
    145.2 KB · Views: 321
  • _MG_4855.JPG
    _MG_4855.JPG
    140.8 KB · Views: 321
Last edited:

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
2strokerfun said:
Cool green circles.... I would think you were a Kawasaki man if I didn't know better.

Just happened to have been working on a logo that used that color before doing those... I personally prefer Red & Blue...

Top Bottom