nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Well, after the success of the First Annual Flaming Pants Chili Cookoff at Dirtweek last year, looks like there will be another Chili Cookoff this year. I think it is tentatively scheduled for Thursday night this year (or maybe Friday, maybe Wednesday). So..... who's cooking??

Here's how it'll work:

Want to cook:
Anyone can sign up as a "chili cooker". Cook as much chili as you'd like (last year everyone pretty much had a large pot full). Chili will be served and all of the "tasters" will have a chance to vote on their favorite three chilis. The votes will be tallied (looking for 2 people to volunteer as vote counters, should take about 20 minutes after we eat), and the eating money will be paid out 100%.

Want to eat:
Tasting bowls will be sold for $3 (possibly $4?) a bowl. You will get a bowl, spoon, and ballot. (Looking for 2-3 people to volunteer to collect the bowl money and pass out bowls/spoons/ballots - the line was long last year). Then you're free to go through and sample all of the chilis and vote for your favorite three.

Last year we had 10 cookers and exactly 100 eaters ($3 a bowl x 100 = $300 which was paid out to the top 5 chilis at $100, $80, $60, $40, $20). The chili went fast, so hopefully this year we can get more cookers.

So - who's planning on putting their chili to the test?

Also, what does everyone think about $3 a bowl vs. $4 a bowl? At $4 a bowl, if we have 100 eaters again, maybe we can do a payout similar to $100, $80, $60, $40, $30, $30, $20, $20, $10, $10 to the top 10 so more "cookers" get a prize. Thoughts/opinions?

Another possible change from last year, once the cookers get set up, giving them a bowl and a chance to sample the different chilis before selling bowls to the "tasters". Thoughts?

Volunteers:
As noted above, looking for 2-3 volunteers to collect bowl money and pass out bowls, spoons, and ballots. Also looking for 2 people to tally the ballots after the tasting (should take approximately 20 minutes).

Crispy

Boss's Lil' Sis
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2001
Count me in as a volunteer for whichever spot you need me.
I think $4 is fine, unlimited chili.. cheap dinner if you ask me.
I think the cooks should get to sample the chili before the masses... what about the volunteers that will be helping with handing out the bowls, shouldnt they be included with the cooks?

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Go Vd!

B

biglou

$3 or $4, either way, it's an inexpensive meal. I'll also volunteer for wherever I'm needed. This was one of the most fun events last year. Great idear. :cool:

I'll try to remember to bring my radiation suit for Wes' chili this year... :ohmy:

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Dave's cooking! He's been working on his recipe all year. :ohmy:
I'll be up there helping him, so I'll probably also be available for volunteer work as needed.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I'm hole-shottin the line to eat, I guarantee it! When the gate drops, the Chili slops!

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
I can help where ever need Nikki since I don't have any special chili recipe....

Mmmmm chili....

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Squeak - What about Chef Roostalini? No special backwoods Iowa chili?

I have a feeling Lori has had a lot of chili this year "here, try this batch" ;)

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
nikki said:
Squeak - What about Chef Roostalini? No special backwoods Iowa chili?

He claims his recipe isn't special enough to enter, it doesn't burn your butt off or anything :uh: , but it's yummy!!! Maybe I can convince him...

Milk

Looking for Mr. Right
Jun 28, 2002
Nikki, I would like to order one bowl of your chili please. That was good schtuff.

Love,

Milk

WaltCMoto

Sponsoring Member
Jan 1, 2001
Im cookin a batch for the masses this year.

Nikki, Its your event and it was a sucsess last year so any minor tweeks you feel need doin,
JUST DO IT

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
Nik ~ I was telling MamaKeith about the Chili Cookoff and she sounded interested...I'll get an answer from here and let ya' know!

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
I'm gonna miss the chili cookoff this year! :( I had fun even though bribing tasters with free bottles of Corona to go with my Chile Verde didn't help me beat out Wes's Super Hot New Mexico Especiale! We were gonna drink a lot of beer BEFORE the event because roasting all those peppers in the hot afternoon sun over a teeny tiny weber grill while everyone else was out riding their dirtbikes was very stressful for the cooks.

I highly encourage anyone who has a chile recipe to GO FOR IT!! It was a lot of fun.

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
I was gonna skip the chile contest this year because it was too much work and I was too tanked to participate in the nite time poker thingy. But, maybe I can think of an easier recipe, or do some of the preparation ahead of time.

BEEF706

Sponsoring Member
Jan 24, 2002
Wes, it wouldn't be the same without ya, mebbe I could hep or sumpin, this was definitely one of the highlights last year, Niki if ya need help with the bowls I would gladly volunteer. :aj:

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
BEEF706 said:
Wes, it wouldn't be the same without ya...
Oh alright, I'll do it. I'm a sucker for a little positive reenforcement, just don't let me open any beers.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Alright, I'm in. Beings I'm actually from New Mexico, I should be able to come up with something....... :p

Whatta ya think TwinSpar, perhaps some of those beauties from Hatch? :yeehaw:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Put me down as a maybe. I'll need to find a few stray cows to make a bigger pot since I am a member of the "frijol free, no veggie soup, real chili coalition".

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Patman said:
Put me down as a maybe. I'll need to find a few stray cows to make a bigger pot since I am a member of the "frijol free, no veggie soup, real chili coalition".
....That no one but pain loving rednecks will eat.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Don't be a girlyman.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Don't forget to pack your chili recipe and ingredients!

The Second Annual Flaming Pants Chili Cookoff will be Friday night around 6:30. Friday night giveaways to follow.

Cookers - please have your chili ready around 6:15-6:30. Cookers will get a bowl and about 15 minutes to try some different chilis before the tasters start coming through.

Tasters - around 6:30-6:45, tasting bowls and ballots will be available for $4. You'll be able to try a scoop full of each of the different chilis and vote for your favorites. Once everyone has had a chance to tast them all, second and third helpings are of course welcome until the chili runs out!

All proceeds will be paid out to the top chilis based on the votes, on a scale similar to 1st-30%, 2nd-20%, 3rd-15%, 4th-10%, 5th-10%, 6th-5%, 7th-5%, 8th-5%, etc. So if there are 80 bowls sold at $4 a bowl = $320, then payouts would be around 1st-$96, 2nd-$64, 3rd-$48, 4th-$32, 5th-$32, 6th-$16, 7th-$16, 8th-$16.

Volunteers needed:
2 bowl sellers (will get to sample with cookers before event)
2 vote counters

Last edited:

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
I'll sell bowls!

Mmmmm chili!

Top Bottom