kimoaj

Apr 8, 2001
My clutch doesn`t release properly. When I put in gear , the engine nearly stalls, if I don`t keep the rews up! . When I change gear, I can hear that the engine`s rpm changing, just if I don`t pull the clutch properly in....! I spoke to my dealer yesterday, they said that there was a way of fixing this. (they also said that I should do it, because it kills my tranny!). The problem was that the clutch plates got stuck, because of when the clutch plates have gone up&down 1000`s of times, there will bi "scrathces" wich make them go slow or hang up!!!. The way of fixing this was to take a "tool" (didn`t find the rigth word, I`m from Norway wremember!) and remove them.
Does anyone have any good advices to give me, about this!!?
??:silly:

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
Did you notice a difference when the bike is hot or cold? What you describe is normal for a cold bike. Usually when it warms up, the clutch fully disengages when you pull the lever. If the bike was stored for a long time, the clutch plates sometimes fuse together. If this is the case, it wont even disengage at all even when your bike is hot. I don't understant what exactly your dealer has told you. The plates don't go up and down, they get squeezed together and released when you pull the lever. Do you change your tranny oil often? try changing it about every two tankfull. What might happen is grooves in the basket wedging the plates together and making them slow to disengage. If that is the case, when you remove the clutch cover, you would see dents on the aluminum tabs that are spinning your friction plates. Then, that means you'll have to buy a new basket.

Pete Payne

MX-Tech Suspension Agent
Nov 3, 2000
Kimoaj,
What you need to do is take the clutch apart and inspect it. The problem you are relating to is normally caused by notching of the inner and outer baskets. You should notice a wear mark or groove in the baskets where the inner and outer baskets contact them. If the grooves are deep the baskets should be replace along with new plates and a cable. If the grooves are very shallow you could remove them by filing them with a flat file. Although this is risky , because it weakens the baskets and they could break. I highly recommend replacing them with new ones as this yields much better results. Hope this helps. -- Pete.

kimoaj

Apr 8, 2001
CrazyCR125: I have enough freeplay in the cable to make the clutch work "normal" when I put it in gear/change gear, but it starts "sluring" when I have it that way.

No Hand: yes , that`s what my "dealer told me" . (I just had abit problems translating it to english! ;). I change my tranny oil often , every 5 hours or so. I use SAE10W40.

Pete: Ok, same as my dealer told me.

thanks .

slo' mo

slower than slow...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
my son has the same bike

and the same problem. I removed the plates and basket and filed the notches down in the basket fingers. This is the second time I have done this so I will be replacing my basket as soon as my clutch kit comes in. You will not have very good luck finding an aftermarket basket for that year KX. I found a good buy through Stormin Norman on a billet basket

http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17176&highlight=stormin+norman

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom