Coming back to MX, need help on a bike.

mman

Mar 24, 2007
1) your physical size - Age 27, 5'10" 175

2) How physical / aggressive are you ? - played hockey and sports my whole life. I started jumping (pic below) the 2nd week ever on a dirtbike/motorcycle. Also raced BMX.

3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ????? - I plan on getting into racing MX. I'll roll around with friends when their wives let them the f* out :coocoo: .

4) Do you have any riding experience? - I bought my first bike in '01. It was a new YZ125. I loved the thing. It was enough power for me at the time being my first bike. I got used to jumping but still lack experience in cornering and complete control of by bike. I guess I needed some more time to learn my bike. Work, no other friends being interested, the drive to the track, and getting booted from our jumping place made me sell. Also just sold my Yamaha R6.

5) Do you think you will race ? - Yeah

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? - When it comes to the engine, I read and learn on my own. I also have my gramps around and he's a gem.

7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? - YZ250, 250F, 450F.

8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? -Yeah, all bikes.

9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike? - I'd like to stay around $3,000. But I heard it's a better choice to buy a 4 stroke new. So I don't know. If I HAVE to spend the money for a new bike, I will.

10) Do you live in California?- No

11) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
- I'm torn because I want to get the right bike for me, but I also want to be racing the right class. I heard the 125/250F class is full of the young teens that are crazy and obvioiusly very young and in shape. Then I heard the 250/450F class is more relaxed for beginners my age. I've just had conflicting reports, becase some people say the 125s/250f are where people should start out.

Last edited:

StraithYZ

Jun 7, 2001
found my old account
818375147_l.jpg

StraithYZ

Jun 7, 2001
Well I went shopping around a bit, still not sold on new or used. I wouldn't mind a used 250 2 stroke but there's not any decent ones around. Here's what I found today. (Nobody had any new 250 2 strokes)

2006 YZ125 - Retail $5499, on Sale $3699 (NEW)
2007 YZ250F *Limited Edition* Retail $6249, on Sale $5599.

That limited edition caught my eye for that price, even though I prefer the blue, they are having a huge sale. Think that's a steal?

StraithYZ

Jun 7, 2001
Well in our district we don't even have a beginner class. Just A, B, and C. It's my best bet to race in the 250/450F C class.

I can't find any decent 2 strokes, I'm almost thinking of getting a new YZ450F. Think that'll be too much power for not riding hardcore in 5 years? or would that be a bit more smooth than a 250 2 stroke?

Top Bottom