CR250 Splitting the case, what doesn't need to be removed?

skiboyracing

Jan 22, 2006
Since I'm redoing the top end with a new 265cc kit on my 99, I figure even though all seems well with the lower, I might as well go through it too. I bought a manual and I'm thinking I'm going to split the case and install a new hot rod crank, bearing and seal kit, and probably the rest of the bearings and seals too. When splitting the case for this, is there anything on the outside that doesn't need to be removed? Like stator, shifter linkage, water pump, anything. I just don't want to remove things if it's not needed. So if anyone has some insight, I'd appreciate it..

wornknobby

Feb 5, 2004
well basically no, every thing holding it self to the cases willl ned to be removed, plus if you remove every thing and keep it organized you can make sure nothing else is wrong and can clean every thing up.

you might be able to get away w/ not removing the water pump. you could remove the right side case cover as one piece and not remove the clutch cover, or the water pump cover. just make sure to remove the 2 long bolts on the water pump which hold part of the cases. you might also be able to get away w/ the stator but not sure on your bike.

Broken Spoke

Mar 1, 2004
I just did this on my 98 CR250. The only thing that you do not have to remove is the gear shift linkage, which is on the right side. Once on the inside, if you replace both shift drum bearings, you will have to remove the linkage. I replaced every bearing except that one shift drum bearing. It looked like it was still in pretty good shape, plus, it never even turns a full revolution. I can't see that bearing wearing out in my lifetime! What kind of manual do you have? I have a Honda manual and it was pretty good. The only problem I had was with the kickstarter. The manual had some bad info. When you take off the right side crankcase cover, do it slowly and pay close attention to how the kickstarter spindle is assemble. Specifically, see how the punch marks on the ratchet gear and the end of the spindle line up.

tony91

~SPONSOR~
Jan 30, 2002
Pick up a copy of Eric Gorr's book. It has great tips on low-end rebuilds. It reduced my hamfistedness 10 fold. :nod:

T

skiboyracing

Jan 22, 2006
Sounds good. I have the clymer manual. I'll have to look into Eric's book as well. Most people I talk to say it's not as intimidating as it sounds once you get into it so I think I'm gonna give it a go.

Top Bottom