smokr250cr

Feb 13, 2006
Ive had my 2000 cr250 for about 3 years and i havent yet rebuild the top end in it. I rode the hell out of it for about a year and then kinda dropped off for about another year or so and in about the past 8 months ive started ridin a lot again...i think its probably time for a rebuild. I do all of my work on my bike but i have yet to take the actual top end apart. I was wonderin if any one has any tips or pointers for doin this such as things to watch out for and tricks or certain ways things should go back together and especially valves and how they should go back in...thanks

smokr250cr

Feb 13, 2006
i was thinkin about it and i dont think u take the valves out on a top end rebuild so forget the question about the valves...but i do need help with the rest of it, thanks

Shad 250

Mar 9, 2004
First of all, if you are talking about the exhaust power valves, you should disassemble and thoroughly clean them when doing a top end. As far as other things to look for, everything is pretty standard and similar to other bikes. The one thing that is VERY important (trust me from experience), is that when re-assembling the cylinder onto the engine, be absolutely sure that the linkage fork for the powervalve (on botton of cylinder) engages properly with the pin coming up out of the crankcase. If this is not done, your bike's performance will be terrible, trust me. I learned this the hard way, once.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Shad 250 said:
The one thing that is VERY important (trust me from experience), is that when re-assembling the cylinder onto the engine, be absolutely sure that the linkage fork for the powervalve (on botton of cylinder) engages properly with the pin coming up out of the crankcase.

yep, that's the biggest thing to watch out for. it happened to me once too. luckily, i was able to lift the cyclinder slightly and line the fork up without disassembling it.

Top Bottom