mg89

Mar 11, 2006
My friends looking for a used bike for a good price. He can't make up his mind on which bike he want, He is debating between a used yz250 or cr250. I'm not sure of what year he is getting, but what is the better bike in general?

ls1cameric

Feb 23, 2006
If he's considering a 98-up... Hands down, get the YZ... The newer yamaha motors are awesome from the factory... I just bought an 02 yz250 a couple of week ago and although it's not totally stock, it's rediculously fast! I can be in 3rd gear and leaning all the way forward and when the powerband hits my whole front end lifts off the ground. I really havnt heard many great things about the newer CR's although you cant go wrong with either one IMHO.

karterron

~SPONSOR~
Mar 24, 2002
Depends on your friend, I bought a 2000 YZ250 and hated the powerband on it, sold it and bought a 2002 CR250 and loved the powerband, linear and very smooth throughout. Now I have a RM250 and it's the best of both worlds, smooth power and great handling.

All these new bikes are great at what they do and unless you are a pro they have more power than you will ever use. So that means it comes down to rider preference and comfort. I personally favor a smooth linear power deliver over abrupt midrange or top motors so I favor the CR and the new RM lines. It just depends on what your friend wants to do with it and what kind of bike he likes. Yamaha's have good motors but the CR's out handle them.

indynotch50

Oct 13, 2004
I too am debating this question. I have narrowed it down to these 2 bikes simply because of aftermarket parts available. I have a limit of $1500 - $2000 and it seems as though a 97-01 250 fits that price range. I found that with the YZ and CR you can get the most recent parts on the market in those years. This is simply looking in the catalogs and price in central Indiana. Last in line in those 2 areas is the suzuki. This was my personal favorite, I just can't afford a newer one to get the most recently introduced parts.
I'm sorry for I realize this does not answer your question one bit. As a matter of fact I'm going to watch this thread because I am having the same debate. I just wanted to reinforce your idea.
Thanks,
Chris

+30

Aug 2, 2005
a report from the butt of my riding pants:The Cr's tend to be a bit more comfy for the taller riders,, cr's have better build quality in general, but can be a bit soft on the bottom end on some model years, the cr's handle better on average but only slightly better. The yzs are all around good bike they feel a bit small to me, good power off the bottom solid mid and top,people alway say the cr's have nice linear power, but my cr seems to pull harder in the mid than most yz's ive ridden. Ive noticed more "hit" from my honda than friends yz's if that helps...If your bud is new to this stuff, he is better off getting the bike that fits and has good local support in the way of parts etc...

Markopolian

Apr 6, 2006
wow i am in the same vote here. Same deal... I am debating getting the cr250 or the yz250. I have started to be leaning more towards the yz from the good things I have heard about them (plus i like blue) :) But after that post about yz's being a little small for the taller guys im thinking... because I am between 6'1 and 6'2. Im looking at 2002 or 2003. As for those years did either of these bikes stick out? Im coming off a sportbike which I know all about them and the good years but im lost in the dirtbike world :) Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated!! Thanks in advance!

karterron

~SPONSOR~
Mar 24, 2002
Markopolian said:
wow i am in the same vote here. Same deal... I am debating getting the cr250 or the yz250. I have started to be leaning more towards the yz from the good things I have heard about them (plus i like blue) :) But after that post about yz's being a little small for the taller guys im thinking... because I am between 6'1 and 6'2. Im looking at 2002 or 2003. As for those years did either of these bikes stick out? Im coming off a sportbike which I know all about them and the good years but im lost in the dirtbike world :) Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated!! Thanks in advance!
The honda I described in my post was a 2002 model. Next to my current RM250, it is the best, most fun bike I have ever owned. Very linear power that you could ride for days without getting tired.

ls1cameric

Feb 23, 2006
+30 said:
my cr seems to pull harder in the mid than most yz's ive ridden. Ive noticed more "hit" from my honda than friends yz's if that helps...

Your the first person I've ever heard say that a newer CR has more bottom and pull harder than a YZ of the same cc.

+30

Aug 2, 2005
ls1cameric, re-read the post, i agree with you and your are right :nod: the yz has way better bottom. The cr is much weaker off the bottom than the yz. but....the cr wakes up very well in the mid and pulls quite hard and thats where it likes to be ridden, it will require more effort to ride the cr on tight tracks IMHO.

ls1cameric

Feb 23, 2006
+30 said:
ls1cameric, re-read the post, i agree with you and your are right :nod: the yz has way better bottom. The cr is much weaker off the bottom than the yz. but....the cr wakes up very well in the mid and pulls quite hard and thats where it likes to be ridden, it will require more effort to ride the cr on tight tracks IMHO.

Ahhh Okay... i see what your saying...

Top Bottom