Rottweiler

Dec 20, 2004
Has anyone had any reliability problems with a CR250 (1999) with a SST pipe / power core 2 silencer running pump (93 octane) gas. Beside jetting changes what would need to be done to run Vp C12 gas? Lastly has anyone had experience with Eric Gorr's 265cc kit for this model year?
thanks

ML536

Dec 1, 2001
I had a 2000, which has basically the same engine. It had an SST/Powercore 2, and ran C-12. It had no reliability problems with or without the pipe.

I had other mods on the bike as well (Rad Valve, FMF ignition, Eric Gorr porting). Some were worth the $, some of them weren't. The biggest bang for the buck were Eric's porting, which made a very noticeable difference, and jetting. The pipe made a slightly noticeable difference (but I wouldn't have done it again). Same with the Rad Valve. I think the stock pipe on the bike was hard to beat.

So, in answer to your question, the pipe won't cause any reliability problems, will work fine with the C-12, but if I were you, I'd save your $ and send your cylinder to Forward Motion. Hope that helps.

Rottweiler

Dec 20, 2004
ML536, thanks for answering my post, the SST pipe came with the bike, but talking with Marcugunby there was a general concern with running pump gas (93). When I get the motor back together again I plan on running C12 so hopefully the concerns of Marcus will not arise. I am going to send my cylinder to Eric on Monday for the 265 kit and mo' power everywhere porting, it should be interesting so see how the bike response to a complete engine overhaul as I am also redoing the bottom end.
again thanks for the post.

Eric Gorr

Engine Builder
Jun 29, 1999
The thing about the SST pipe is the rapid convergence cone located between the main convergence cone and the stinger. That serves to produce a strong plugging pulse at high rpm which also serves to raise the piston crown temperature. It may be problematic to run with pump gas, because any detonation could melt a hole in the piston. We can lower the compression ratio with machining to the cylinder head, but then you'll lose low end.

Rottweiler

Dec 20, 2004
Eric, thanks for the info. If I was to run the C12 gas would the piston crown temperature still rise? I really do not want to lose any low end power.

thanks

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom