Joeschmo

Jun 12, 2005
which one would you recommend a used cr80 or a new crf150? i believe a cr80 is better but im just getting ideas...This is for a beginner and i said he should probably learn on a 2 stroke

driversix

Aug 4, 2005
depending on what hes using the bike for the cr80 will work for trails and is a good begginner bike and he pry wont get a bored as he would on a crf150.also the 80 is lighter ,has better suspension and 2 strokes are more fun.

JST122

Dec 29, 2005
If he plans on riding any MX go with the CR 80, if it is all trail riding he plans to do then the CRF 150 will be a fine choice. These bikes really arent all that comparable because the CR 80 is a competition model and the CRF 150 is really a playbike. As far as a beginner goes and a first time bike, it will be easier to learn on the CRF 150, but as his skills improve the CR 80 will probably be a more fun bike that you can do more with and ride more aggressively.

Last edited:

04' 125sx

Jan 15, 2006
If you are a beginner rider you should go with the crf 150. On a cr 80 you'll find yourself on your back in a heartbeat. Although the others are right. The cr 80 is faster, lighter, and more fun, but takes a little more experience to learn.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
As a kid I went from a Suzuki Z50 clutchless at age 5-7, then to an XR100 at age 11or12 (similar to the CRF). I was pushing the ZR100 past its suspension and motor limits in 3-4 months. Got a new CR80 and it lasted me 3-4 years from 12y/o to 15y/o or so.

If the kid is reasonably coordinated, I wouldn't think he wouldn't have much trouble adjusting to the CR. It will probably scare him at first, tho.

The guy who runs our local track has an 11 or 12y/o who is just moving off CRF/XR100 to a CR85. The kid is faster on the XR and doesn't like the CR (yet). The problem is that he was used to lugging the XR around the track and he doesn't keep the CR "on the pipe". I think he's a bit scared off it, and actually, the XR kind of limited his development in that he doesn't know how to use a clutch and stay on the gas properly. My .02 worth . . .

+30

Aug 2, 2005
peg

The guys are right. The 80 is a race bike, its not impossible for a beginner, but it really would be a handfull and for most i would think its too much. As a kid i raced bmx all the time, had a few mx play bikes and finally got a 2 stroke which almost bit me on the first go. A few hours later and I was really into it, but I had the chance to learn on the slower bikes first. One option is to put a peg in the throttle in various positions as the rider progresses.. This reduces the clutch dump, bike goes wide open, kid gets thrown backwards, but still is holding on type deal. I really think a brand new beginner should start on a play bike, even if for only a few months. Remember riding a dirt bike means juggling 5 controls at one time(four lever thingys and one twisty thingy). Its a lot for the first timer. When the playbike becomes a bore- then head for the cr. It will be something to shoot for.

Joeschmo

Jun 12, 2005
oh and the kid is also fifteen and the rule is whichever bike he chooses he has to keep for atleast a couple of years so i mean an 80 would last longer and hes ridden a few dirtbikes before and was a very good mountain biker

JST122

Dec 29, 2005
If he is 15 and has to keep it for a couple years, he may grow out of both of these bikes pretty quick depending on how big he is now. Just another thing to take into consideration, maybe you should look to a KX 100. Although the larger size of the bike and engine on this model will make it slightly more difficult for a beginner to learn on, if he is a quick learner and pretty athletic I would shoot for a bigger bike that will last longer. Since it sounds like you dont want to have to sell it right away. If he is a smaller kid then you are probably on the right track. Just something to think about anyway.

DEVONC

Dec 22, 2005
If he's 15.... Unless he's VERY small for his age or $ limited, why not just go for a 125? Or, if he won't be doing much MX work, how about a KDX200/220?

By the time I started riding I was too big for an 80, but rode many of my friend's. By far, I'd think, the hardest bike to learn on. Powerbands are like a light switch. You really do either need to ride them "on the pipe" or not. Hit the powerband coming up the face of the jump, and look out!

I'll never forget two "silver spoon" schoolmates of our's that came out to our local track. Brand new 86' YZ and KX 80's (D@MN! 20 Years ago!), fully decked out in matching riding gear, they certainly looked like they were gonna put a whoopin' on our older, slower bikes. The only place they even touched on the power of the bikes was on one long straight! Other than that they shifted just as the power came on!!!

Sorry to digress, but that just soooo stands out in my mind. And I'll admit, riding them IN the powerband is very intimidating (and fast) for newbies. Had a tomboy-ish female friend who used to ride snowmobiles and streetbikes. Her husband got her a KX80 and they soon brought it back. She called it "violent" :) Ha- ha!!!

Amped

Jan 20, 2006
Well, I'm that "kid" who is new to the sport and looking for a bike. From what I have learned so far, I believe the cr80 would be the best bike for me right now. Even if a outgrow it, I have a younger brother who would use the bike after me.

For pricing, if anyone could give me a reasonable rate from what I know...
1985 Honda cr80
(Don't know mileage)
New back rim
Re-build top end
New reeds..

Joeschmoe, add anything else I forgot..

+30

Aug 2, 2005
old bike

a cr 80 that old may need some maintenance, it can be a great bike though I suspect otherwise. most old 80's have made a million and two trips up and down the suburb powerlines with no maintenance. Youll prob need front and rear suspension serviced and a top end, sprockets a chain and tires and brake pads, and possibly discs to start things off. not meaning to scare you away just trying to offer some negotiation leverage on your part. What good is buying an old bike that you will have to go and dump $1000 bucks into getting it into shape, when you could put that into a newer, or less abused machine. That is of course unless your planning trip number million and three to the power lines and your wanting to spend about $300-$500 on a hammered 20yr old bike. Then by all means I'd go for it. Its still fun, just wear that helmet and dont cross through Mrs Jenkins yard. And for heavens sake dont ride on the street.

MXrider27

Jan 20, 2006
i'd definitely get the cr80...awesome bike...i'm not sure about the 85' model, but it can't be much different then my little brothers 90'. i have a 04 cr85 expert...i love it..either one you get i'm sure you'll be pretty happy. Honda does a great job setting up their bikes for whichever way you're going to ride. my brothers is 16 years old and if keeps up with my 04. the cr's have alot of power, and you'll have a blast. My cousin has the crf150, it's a nice bike, don't get me wrong, but the cr will smoke it. If you're going for speed and power, definitely go for the cr, the powerband is awesome too. Even if you don't have alot of expirience, just sit up closer on the seat and lean forward for the powerband untill you get use to it. My brother is 13 and before he got his he was on a little yamaha pw80 and rarely ever rode it. he made the jump to the cr and he won't get off it. Take it slow at first... cr you can use for trails, but you'll get more use of it out on a track.. crf is more set up for trails, not really jumping or racing...but either way they are both all around good bikes...you'll be happy....

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
Amped said:
Well, I'm that "kid" who is new to the sport and looking for a bike. From what I have learned so far, I believe the cr80 would be the best bike for me right now. Even if a outgrow it, I have a younger brother who would use the bike after me.

For pricing, if anyone could give me a reasonable rate from what I know...
1985 Honda cr80
(Don't know mileage)
New back rim
Re-build top end
New reeds..

Joeschmoe, add anything else I forgot..

I wouldn't pay more than $800-1000 Cdn for that bike, even if its in showroom condition. Typically they aren't and the guy is trying to get every penny he can out of it, and the price is normally too high.

You should also give us more information about your height, weight, type of riding you want it for and previous experience. If you are over 5'6", and about 130 lbs, its going to feel small right off the bat..

MXrider27

Jan 20, 2006
i'd try to get it for like $750 or less to be honest with you...if you think about it there are like 2000's and even some newer models selling for sometimes just above $1,000. this bike is 21 years old man, you shouldn't be spending much over 700...don't get me wrong when i say it's 20 years old though..it is still a great bike, as long as it's in good condition, and will definitely be worth every penny as long as you don't get over priced....

Amped

Jan 20, 2006
I believe i can get it off the guy for $650cdn, i guess it isn't bad.

I'm about 5'7, 120 pounds and i'll probably be using it mostly for trails, some jumps and tracks.

i_955

Dec 18, 2004
The MX bikes are almost always the better choice, they are build to be ridden hard and are also trail friendly.
The CRF150/TTR150 etc get knackered quickly when jumping and taken to the tracks. Can you even fit a full knobby on one? I really don't know, I'm asking.

My son is 11yrs, 5'7" and 130lbs. He has a KX100 and it fits him perfect after I installed a set of ProTapers and riser block to accommodate the fatter bars.

Check, clean and or replace the rear suspension and linkage bearing for sure.

PatrickBarnett

Mod Ban
Jan 14, 2006
I have a CRF150 and have taken some falls on it. I was fine but once it went tumbling down the hill a few feet. I was so mad. When I picked it up it was fine and started the first time I tried. Only scratches but no real damage.

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
Amped said:
I believe i can get it off the guy for $650cdn, i guess it isn't bad.

I'm about 5'7, 120 pounds and i'll probably be using it mostly for trails, some jumps and tracks.

In that case, you are already on the large size for it. If you do buy it, your brother will be getting it sooner rather than later. I would seriously look into a full size bike, and take it easy when you first get it.

Rmzracer83

Nov 25, 2005
Im 15 and about 5'9" and 135 pounds and I just jumped up from a CRF150 to an RM125 I would recommend a 125 if you could cause I got mine extremly cheap and its an 02. My 150 is an extremly great bike just get a stiffer front suspension and change the stock handlebars. A neat trick is that (with some mod to the triple-clamps) a CR85 Expert front end will bolt right on getting rid of the front suspension problem. I would recommend the CR80 if youll be in this a while because you may want to learn the clutch (TRUST ME IT IS HARD AT FIRST). But I'm sure what ever decision you make will be the right one :-) k. good luck

Amped

Jan 20, 2006
I did have the feeling I would probably outgrow this bike quickly, so I may hold off buying it for a while and look into a 125. What kind of beginner-intermediate bikes would you suggest for me?

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
If you're riding tracks or jumping a lot, a 125 motocross bike. For trails a KDX 200/220 or similar 200 class enduro would be good choices. The budget factors somewhat as the more you have to spend, the better bike you can get. The difference between a $800-1000 bike and one for $1500-2500 Cdn can be huge in age, condition and how much you have to put into it to have a decent ride. There are good bikes for less money, but you have to know what to look for and wade through more overpriced junkers to find them.

KDXJeff94

Jan 25, 2006
the cr80 and crf150 are two different bikes
cr80 is designed for motocross and is probably a much more powerful bike
the crff150 would be a lot easir to learn on but you would outgrow it fast
the manufactures should probly start make 4 stroke MX minis though

CamDayKX125(4)

Uhhh...
Jan 20, 2006
hell probably grow out of a 80 or 150 in a matter of months. shoot for a 230 maybe. or, if he plans on MX, get a 105 or 125. just make sure you know what your getting in to if you decide on a 125. those are powerful!

Top Bottom