MXTex

~SPONSOR~
Feb 29, 2000
Attached herein is a picture of my son's 04RM85. If you look closely, you'll see a hairline fracture immediately adjacent to the cylinder base bolt. The motor runs well but this crack does weep during operation. What should I do? Is there a simple fix or will this require welding?

Attachments

• cracked cylinder base.jpg
    cracked cylinder base.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 193

nickyd

Sep 22, 2004
I'd wonder if that's a defective cylinder first - try taking that to the dealership or calling suzuki directly. to weld that you'd have to basically bore out the crack until you get past the base of it and then fill it back in. not sure if that's a feasible alternative though.

MXTex

~SPONSOR~
Feb 29, 2000
I just got off the phone with the Engine Builder; PR2 Racing. They told me this is a typical problem for these cylinders and that replacement is the only viable option. I'm wondering if I can ever so slightly groove out the crack with my dremel tool and backfill with JB Weld. Is that just too much backyard engineering?

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
It looks like the crack is on othe outside of the water jacket and hence would only be subjected to a maximum of about 14psi of pressure. Personally, I'd get it tig welded and then grind the weld smooth that that it looks normal. Often you can find welders who will do small jobs like this fir $15-20.

If you can't find a good welder I don't see any harm in filling it with jb weld. If I am looking at the crack correctly, the worst that will hapen is that it will slowly leak antifreeze.

good luck

nickyd

Sep 22, 2004
MXTex said:
I just got off the phone with the Engine Builder; PR2 Racing. They told me this is a typical problem for these cylinders and that replacement is the only viable option. I'm wondering if I can ever so slightly groove out the crack with my dremel tool and backfill with JB Weld. Is that just too much backyard engineering?

That's what I was thinking you could do - as long as you don't reach the water jacket it should be fine.

By the way, backyard engineering would be wrapping the cylinder in duct tape....haha

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
JB weld would probably blow out since there is seeping already. TIG weld would be the way to go. I would bust all the motor mounts loose at the same time and tighten them up slowly like a head. There must be some stress on the block causing the crack unless its a really bad casting setup. Check for stress or missalignment at the head motor mount point.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
backyard engineering is jb welding in a spark plug.........and having it stick til the bike around it fell apart :yikes:

Top Bottom