Hondaxrguy

May 17, 2001
I went there last year, and DNF'd with a broken clutch lever. I'm back for revenge on that tree now! :p Anyone else going to be there? The course was really good last year. And best of all, it's local. :thumb:

Jeremy

Hondaxrguy

May 17, 2001
It was a really good course last year. It starts with a dead engine start, then you do a little grass track riding, hit a SMALL mx section, head into the woods, do some more grass track, some more woods, etc..... You race for 1.5 hrs and try to complete as many laps as possible in that time. None of the terrain was difficult at all. Well, except for a small wooden bridge. After watching EVERYONE in front of me fall on it, I got off and walked. I'd recommend the C-class if you've never raced before. Even if you don't want to race, just ride the course for a nice layed out trail ride. I'm really looking foreward to it.

Jeremy

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
I'd go but i'm in the process of trying to get a 250F after getting jack around by the last dealer so you won't see me riding for a few more weeks or so.

Tod

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2002
I'd recommend the C-class if you've never raced before.

other good options for new guys are:

Vet Amatuer = over 30 years old
Senior Amatuer = over 40 years old :yeehaw:

4 stroke Amatuer used to be a mellow class until everone got them YZFs CRF etc

sometimes C gets clogged up with a bunch of wild-a$$ed youngsters ;)

give it a try, everyone there was a begineer once too :)

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
I'm sure you guys enjoy these scrambles, many people do.

My issues are.... a 1.5 hour trail ride is not enough, and these things usually cost a lot and have gate fees for non-riders. The $/hour does not work out well at all.

It does look exciting though, especially the dead engine start. What a rush that must be.

Tod

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2002
My issues are.... a 1.5 hour trail ride is not enough,

Try enduros for more hours in the saddle. Short course 3 to 5 hours, long course 4 to 7 hours.

It does look exciting though, especially the dead engine start. What a rush that must be.

For maximum starting line thrill factor, try the Nasty Wench Hare Scrambles, it's quite a hoot to line up for the amatuer race with over 100 other fools looking at a 30 foot wide first turn. Not everyone's cup of tea, but you gotta try it once. I got a gouge in my gas tank from someones handlebars without crashing one year. (within inches of where little jimmy and twins ride)
:eek:

KNeese

Nov 19, 2001
I rode this event the last 2 years. It is alot of fun. The grass track is cool, the woods are not too tight, the bridges are super-slick (speaking from first hand face plant experience) and the MX track is just right.

I look forward to this event each year. One of my favorites.

This will be the first time on the KTM so really looking forward to that.

Enduros are my favorites since you do get more saddle time. I wish the clubs would put on more events. 5 enduros this year is better than last year, but still lacking. If anyone is in a club, try to talk them into an enduro next year!

Hondaxrguy

May 17, 2001
The "bridge" was just crossing a ditch about 5 feet long, and about 3 feet deep. There's probably water in it during the wetter months. There was a younger rider who had fallen off, and had his bike fall on top of him when I fist got to it. I would have hated to have my XR400 fall on me!

I think ALL us DRNers around here need to get together for a ride. I just checked out Little Naches last monday and what an awesome place!

Jeremy

Tod

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2002
If anyone is in a club, try to talk them into an enduro next year!
'til I'm blue in the face. Personally, it's my favorite format.
Enduros that a lot of effort to put on. They don't generate as much revenue as hare scrambles and nowhere close to the dough that pokey runs bring in.

wondering if insurance issues are going to cut down on future events of all sorts
Quite possibly. To make it worse, the DNR requires twice as much insurance coverage for competive events than poker runs ($2m vs $1m) even though then number of participants is usually far less.

If you would like to see more enduros, please consider hooking up with a club and help put one on. It's not as much fun as riding them, but a good time none the less.

KNeese

Nov 19, 2001
Tod, Glad to hear other folks enjoy enduros as much as I do. As a long time PSER I have helped with the Shelton Valley Enduro for the last 20 years or so. But since I work this event I only get to ride 4 enduros each year or less. So it sure would be nice if some of the other clubs around put on a few more so I could ride more than 4. And this year I missed the Night Enduro. So I only rode 3.

Now I have to wait until next April to ride any more enduros. Bummer! Although I am considering going to Nor Cal. They have a couple more enduros this year still. But I have to check the budget. Just bought a house!

But I also agree with you that Hare Scrambles/Poker Runs are easier to sponsor and get more turnout. They are surely fun events to ride.

Oh well maybe next year.

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
I'm getting my arm twisted to go. Whats the course like in terms of terrain, lap length and times for an old geezer in the almost super senior amature class. Can't let T-Rat have all the fun

KNeese

Nov 19, 2001
I ride the Senior Amateur class so I do the short race. It is 1.5 hours I think. The terrain is really cool, loamy, peat bogs. The only challenge with the course is DEEP ruts appear after the first lap or so. So its best to watch out for those. Oh and the bridges (2 or 3) get a little slick.

If my memory serves me the course was around 5-6 miles. It had some tight wood sections and some wide open grass track sections with lots of turns.

Oh theres also a couple small jumps and a short whoop section on the motocross course. Oh and the course is mostly flat.

Its alot of fun.

Hondaxrguy

May 17, 2001
Ok, so from what I see, it looks like the following people are planning to be there:

1. Hondaxrguy
2. KNeese
3. Tahuya Rat
4. Fishhead
5. Tod
6. Ochster?

Any others? Anyone on this list NOT going?

Jeremy

Hondaxrguy

May 17, 2001
I wouldn't worry about the MX section. It's VERY small. Just slow down and make up your time in the woods. I'm not very good at MX either, and most of the people at the race won't be either.

Jeremy

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
Anyone know if a spark arrestor is required? If not i'll take out my 125 and go. When is it exactly? and what are the race "fees" ?

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
Damn a sound test even well i bet my stock silencer would pass a 98db it probably more like 96. Wow! $35 plus $5 gate fee! thats alittle expensive for just ONE class. Its doesn't say if spark arrestors are needed but I bet they are.

Hondaxrguy

May 17, 2001
Joe, I doubt that they are required since the race is on private land, and the flyer doesn't say they are. Give Ray a call and ask. His number is on the flyer. I agree that $40 to race is a lot, but if you compare seat time to that of an AX or similar race around here, it's defenatly more bang for your buck.

Jeremy

Hondaxrguy

May 17, 2001
Well, I hope to see some of you out there! I'll be driving a blue Ranger, and my KX (#44) has lots of Pro Circuit graffix and possibly my DRN fender stickers. Stop by and say hi!

Jeremy

Hondaxrguy

May 17, 2001
I was there. I don't know how I did. I didn't see any results posted there. I did 4 laps, don't know how many people made the checkpoint in time to do 4. I went down twice. Once pretty hard. The course got really deep holes in parts. They needed to wait longer between starting the different classes. There were huge bottlenecks entering the woods. That grass track was fun though. That's where I did my passing. The woods were too tight to pass, although some tried. :( I'm glad I finished this year though. That was my goal. Too bad I didn't see anyone from here there though.

Jeremy

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom