MSR NUT

Feb 18, 2000
Does any awesome trail rider out there have any advice on cutting handle bars to fit in between trees!!!!! I heard you can turn faster
I am not sure. Any advice?????;)

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
It's strictly personal preference. I like mine around 30" wide. Most bars can be cut down to about 29" and still have enough room for the throttle and front brake lever. Some guys really like narrow bars and use minicycle bars cut less than 29".

Most people I know probably run 30" - 31" wide, but our forests are not super tight. Lots of MX riders seem to prefer wider bars even in the woods, 32" or so, because that's what they got used to.

Even with narrow bars, you don't need a lot of arm strength to turn the bike, and it is easier to fit between the tight trees. The guys that prefer wider bars say they have more leverage turning and it helps them feel more in control at speed.

So do whatever works for you - there are not right or wrong answers. :)

FlyinRyan

~SPONSOR~
Mar 19, 2001
Dave is correct, it comes down to personal preference. I ride all the IL enduros and some HS, plus the MOOSE run, and I run my bars at 30" (With the brushguards they are a little over 30"). This is what I got use to and works for me. Most guys I know run thier bars between 29" and 31".

Try this, sit on your bike, close your eyes and let you hands fall on the handle bars. See where they land and cut the bars down from there.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Another method I’ve heard suggested from a MX school instructor is to do a pushup with your hands in the position which you feel you have the most power, and have someone measure the distance between your hands.

I run minibike bars, which measure about 29 inches, on my KTM. I have the Tag T2 tapered bar in the Mini Hi bend. About the same height and a little more sweep than a CR double hi.

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
I had been running the stock Pro-Tapers, and recently cut 3/4" off each end to make the Rally Pros fit better. They are now 29'', plus guards, so effectively about 30". They felt strange in the garage, and looked really narrow at first, but I got used to them within two minutes of riding, and now can't tell the difference. So don't be afraid to go narrow; it does make it easier to miss the trees. If only it were that easy to make my tush a little narrower.

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
That's for sure. I used to work as an apprentice to an old master machinist named Dick, who used to say, "You can always take more off, Jimmy, but it's harder than heck to put it back on." :D

Titanium

May 22, 2000
Not sure what you used for cutting the bar down, but I have always used a pipe/tube cutter. It looks like a c-clamp with a cutting wheel on one side, they are cheap and easy to find. I have never seen them mentioned here is the only reason I bring it up. They cut perfectly in line all the way around (it's impossible to cut them crooked) and it is very easy to get the exact same amount off the other side...the first time, every time. Cuts so much cleaner than a hack saw or the like, clean up on the ends is quick.

Excman

Nov 20, 1999
The big advantage to the mini bars is they are narrower at the clamps as well as overall, meaning there's more room for controls. This is especially important with dual sport hardware. You can now get all the colors and pretty much any bend/rise combo that trips your trigger.

I always run at 29 1/2 to 30", depending on what I can get away with. I first cut mine on an 82 YZ490 when I started to ride it in the woods. I actually ended up liking the narrower bars on the moto track too. When I ride a bike with the wider bars now, it feels like its too easy to oversteer and break the front loose in the slick stuff.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Yes, there is definitely lots of room. My clutch and brake master cylinders fit fine, with plenty of room for a roll chart holder or computer or whatever else I think I might need in the future.

There’s a better picture taken from the seat in the women’s forum, in the threat titled Triple First Impression Product Review. It wouldn’t let me post that picture again.

Attachments

• ktm2_s.jpg
    ktm2_s.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 272

Smitty

Alowishus Devadander
Nov 10, 1999
Firecracker, I have read about all your struggles and this thread brought something to my attention. I don't know if you've considered this or not, but those super tall bars may be too tall? I'm not sure how tall you are, I'm guessing less than six feet, but I'm 6'3" and running CR doubles and they are very, very tall. Anyway, perhaps these are causing leverage problems for you both sitting and standing. Sitting your elbows will be too low and force you back on the motorcycle and lose grip on the front. Standing up, you might be too straight and being forced out of the attack position which works best.

Just a thought, could be wrong. I'm sure BBR has a few other bars laying around you could try.:confused:

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Well, I feel like the high bars are actually more comfortable, since I try to stand as often as possible and with the new bars (of course, I only rode for a few hours with them before I trashed my knee AGAIN) i felt less hunched over.

xrsforever

Nov 2, 2000
I am fixing to cut some Renthal McGraft bends for tight woods, and have decided to cut only 3/8" per side. I figure small changes/and test ride. Also you can always cut more but not less.

Top Bottom