Cylinder Stud ripped out of cylinder

RMX250DB

Nov 26, 1999
hello
I just did a rebuild on a friends 1994 RM80 and one of the cylinder studs that holds the head in place was pulled out and appears to have stripped out the mounting hole in the cylinder. The stud has aluminum wrapped around all the threads that were in the cylinder which i imagine is what is left of the stud mounting hole. How can i fix this? I was thinking of using a cold weld to hold the stud in the cylinder but ive had bad experiences of cold welds breaking at the worst possible times. Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks

Tom

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
heli-coils should work nicely for that havta buy a special tap tap the hole with new threads and then run a wire insert into the threads which will become the new threads for the stud

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
As jmics19067 stated Heli-Coils work O-K.......My personal choice if it counts, talk to a local welder......Welding Alum is touchy due to heat and have someone that is lisencesd do it. All he is going to do is fill the mount full of molten alum and screw down it the right thread,,,,,,,,Or......Fill it full, wait untill it has cooled.......THen drill and retap.........
Personally I prefer the drill and retap.........Lasts longer and works better!
Phillip

Top Bottom