pat-kdx

May 2, 2005
I have a 2000 KDX 200 were three of the four studs that are supposed to hold the front axle to the right front fork are broken off. Looking of the studs they do not appear to screw out. Are they pressed or welded in? How can this be fixed? Do I need to drill out the old studs and retap?
Patrick

sreich

Apr 22, 2004
I just had the exact same thing happen to me. Clamp on some vice-grips and you can screw them out. Unfortunately Kawasaki does not list these as as replacement part. You have to purchase the fork to get them as they come as part of the fork. I was however able to have my dealer match up the one I broke with studs they stock for various other bikes and parts and came up with a perfect match.

nickyd

Sep 22, 2004
there are clever ways to fix this problem once you get the stud out....a piece of allthread, a stud from another application that fits OR just a bolt through there

Gerg

May 7, 2002
I broke one off, too. I unscrewed the stud and replaced it with a small (6MM?) bolt, cut to the right length. Works perfectly!

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
PN for the stud is 172G0622.

You can also buy replacements at a good hardware store.

Using a bolt isn't a terrific idea for the long term. Look at how much a fork leg will cost you, then decide if you want to be screwing/unscrewing a dissimilar metal bolt into it on a regular basis.

Put the new stud in with a thread locking agent (loctite blue). Not so much for the 'keep it in there' locking part, but for protection against the dissimilar metal locking part.

Use a torque wrench! 86in/lb I recall. Check that to be sure. ...maybe it's 82in/lb? +/-4in/lb isn't going to matter anyway.

Do not cross-tighten. Tighten the top two first, then the bottom two. There will be a gap (better be!) at the bottom.

pat-kdx

May 2, 2005
Thanks to all who provided comments.

I got the old studs out with little trouble. New studs are on order, hopfully they will be here by Friday.

One bad note: I found a dealer that really does not know the bikes they sell, they tried to sell me the nuts for $11.40 each and also told me the studs could not be removed. No more business for you! :moon:

One positive note: I found a new dealer that did not try to screw me and actually provided usefull information. They will get repeat business! :nod:

svmtbman

Mar 11, 2003
One question, are the studs on a reverse thread where they screw in the fork leg? (do you have to turn them clockwise to take them out)

duke boy

Dec 2, 2005
you all say it is easy to unscrew them with Vise Grips? I can't get them out with Vice Grips. VIce Grips just slip right around them. Any other ideas?

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Good chance a thread locking compound was used at the factory. Spark up the propane torch and CAREFULLY heat up the area they thread into.

rm_racer

Mar 15, 2005
duke boy said:
you all say it is easy to unscrew them with Vise Grips? I can't get them out with Vice Grips. VIce Grips just slip right around them. Any other ideas?

If you dont plan on reusing the stud, after you take the torch to them, dremel two flat sides on them so the vise grips have somwhere to grip with out spinning.

duke boy

Dec 2, 2005
rm_racer said:
If you dont plan on reusing the stud, after you take the torch to them, dremel two flat sides on them so the vise grips have somwhere to grip with out spinning.
I just came up with that idea and vice gripped them out. Didn't need heat. They didnt have threadlock on them. Now I have to find replacement studs. Thanks for the suggestions.

Top Bottom