WaltCMoto

Sponsoring Member
Jan 1, 2001
Well my older son, Bob, takes his vacation request form for his teachers to sign, and 3 of them refuse the request. :bang: This means he not recieve credit for any work that is due while he is gone. So hes staying home.
The part that pisses me off is that this system is in place for teachers to encourage kids with low grades to get to school. Bob ended his freshman year with a 4.0 and ranked in the top 5% of his class. His grades are the same this year. It seems to me that some of these teachers are on a power trip. :| Last year they all signed it no problem.
Ive considered going to the Dean and pleading our case, but I hate to argue, and it can only cause Bob greif with his teachers. We should have just called in sick.

MXSparx

Mr. Meltsomeglass
Jul 25, 1999
NoVa
Or you could arrange for those 3 teachers to be sick? That's a bad deal for sure :|

hi1maj

Jul 2, 2004
thats horrible, i didnt know they could tell you when your child can be absent and when they can't. I guess its different here in california. Teachers are allowed to take sick days too, why cant kids.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Walt I just got word that Bob's, "Uncle Patman" is very very ill and wants to see all of his kin at his bedside in Stillwater. It's not known how long he really has so it is a family emergency! I'm sure we could turn up somebody with bad enough writing that could sign a doctors order....BTW I have been asked numerous times if I am a doctor becuase I have a very scribbled signature!

Load 'em I'm fadin' fast :)

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
I am sorry to hear that walt, but they plain don't have the right to pull that crap. I went through that as a kid, my dad finally went in and said he is going and if any reprocussions happen we will be in court. Needless to say that stopped the crap.

You get chances to do things, maybe once in a lifetime. If your parents are not allowed to make a decision of an "excused" absence, then something is wrong. Abuse to this of course would be not tolerated but, clearly your son is a good student, and cares about grades and school. School administations have enough things to do, they should let parents make these decisions and stay out of it.

wardy

LOL this issue hits home for me, I grew up on a street where ALL my nieghbors were teachers, and wow those guys could party!

gnarlykaw

Sponsoring Member
May 20, 2001
Walt, is this a school or a prisoner release program??? I am assuming this is a private school, but a families life should come first. It sounds like to me that you need to argue this with the dean, and push for a reform of policy. If this IS a private school, it's your money that is keeping it afloat, and................whew, don't get me started. take him out, and prepare for BATTLE!
TAKE NO PRISONERS!!

tnrider

Sponsoring Member
Jun 8, 2003
Unfortunately the schools can do this and do - that is why we are not going to DW too. It all started back in the 70's when the gov decided they could do a better job raising kids than parents can. They enacted laws that took parenting away from parents by the 80’s. And while our school does not prosecute truancy, the school has the “option” of failing a kid with something like 3 unexcused absences.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
I tried something different this year with Tigger. I sent a note to her teachers & school admin stating only that we would be out of town this next week and to please sign & return this letter with any work she might miss. So far only 3 of her teachers have signed the letter, wonder if I should give them a ZERO for not turning in thier papers?

Tigger goes to public school & they hate truency. I have a friend whos kid goes to a private Christian school and his family goes on a cruise every October. His school encourages "family activities" even if it means missing some school, wonder if it has anything to do with money?

Mikeb

~SPONSOR~
Jun 8, 1999
Walt, That really sucks for Bob. I bet his head isnt going to be in his work next week anyway.

I would go to the school and tell them just what you told us that he is a good student and "deserves" to go.

Good luck

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
Damn Walt that SUCKS! I'd plead the case, fight it tooth and nail. Like you said, Bob is a good student, so it's not like he can't "afford" to take a couple of days out. You're the parent here, not his teachers, they can't tell you when you can take your child out. Good luck Walt!

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
I think the problem is that schools have to report their attendance records to local, state, and federal bureaucrats. Attendance is then somehow equated to school performance. My ex ol’ lady is taking our kids to Hawaii for a week and I told her to lie to the school. Well she didn’t, and now the school is telling her the kids will be truant and it’s her problem.

It’s funny because I took a day off yesterday to go on a field trip with my second grade son. We rode in a big yellow bus for an hour get to Dixon’s Apple Farm. Then we sat in a 2 mile line of cars, on a one-lane crooked-azz dirt road, for another hour. We didn’t get off the stinkin’ bus until 11:30. We got a quick talk from the old geezer that started the place 60 years ago. He was a good old guy, especially when he talked about how the lousy do-gooders almost ruined the cider business with regulations. I got a kick out of all the liberal educators rolling their eyes in disagreement, HaHaHa.

Anyway, we hauled ass back to the buses and ate lunch on the way back to school. The road was so narrow that we had to creep forward inches at a time, with pissed-off apple shoppers in parked cars on one side and tree limbs scraping the the bus on the other side. In my mind we wasted an entire day just so we could all hear about how Ms So-and-so's cousin is best friends with the Dixon's (should’ve been an unexcused absence if you ask me and the teachers should use a day of vacation too). Looking at the bright side, my son’s teacher is a total knock-out, a real 10! But, I think she might be the one that gave blondes a bad name. :)

ironworker

America since 1908
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2004
Walt!! just call him in sick anyways, can they prove he is not sick? just tell the dean that you had vacation planned but he fell ill and you couldnt go, but i recommed pulling him out a day earlier so you can back up your case.

If that aint good enough my wife is a doctor at Kiaser hospital, she has agreed to write a note. just pm me

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
W a l t I might n ot ma ke it much loooonggggeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
What a crock. 4.0. There should be no question. It's not the 4.0 students they need to keep an eye on. Bad deal Walt, I'm sure Bob is really disappointed.

Ryone

Jun 18, 2004
I think it all boils down to what's more important:

a) going to DW with his DAD.
b) staying home to go to school for 3 days.

One of these he'll always remember, and I know it won't be what he was taught during those 3 days of school.

thumbs

Tony 'da Rat
Oct 16, 2000
Since I can't make it to DW I'll sit in for Bob at his classes and take notes, test or whatever is required. I'm a pretty fart smellar, I mean smart fellar so I think I can pull it off.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
thumbs said:
Since I can't make it to DW I'll sit in for Bob at his classes and take notes, test or whatever is required. I'm a pretty fart smellar, I mean smart fellar so I think I can pull it off.

Never work, Bob's way taller than you :laugh:

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
High Lord Gomer said:
I never asked the teachers...I merely told them that we were going and asked for work to take with us.

That's my approach :cool:

whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
Walt, explain that it is a planned family vacation and that if it is not approved then Bobs teachers had better not take one day of vacation during the school year. They will reply that there are breaks in the school year for vacations to be planned around, explain that will have to be the case also for teachers and administrators!

What a crock.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom