eriermrider

Mar 31, 2007
i just bought a 2000 rm250. the bike is sick only one problem.. when in 2/3 gear at a low rpm and i get on it, it falls into neutral. now i have been riding for the last 15 years and i have never had this prob on any other bike. is this a syncro prob? bottom end? clutch??? i am lost give as much imput as possible because i would love to ride as much as i can!!! thanks

Last edited:

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Wasn't there a post before mine that said something about rounded dogs/worn shift forks? I was kind of agreeing with that one and was trying to say that you'd have to split cases to find out. It seems that when a transmission jumps out of gear it usually has something to do with bent or worn shift forks. Pull the right side cover and inspect the condition of the shift drum positioning mechanism connected to your shifter. If that's not the problem, you'll need to split the cases.

jason33

Oct 21, 2006
check the detent roller- shift drum arm that holds tension on it and keeps it in gear-
a lot of times the roller will ware out- just replace it

eriermrider

Mar 31, 2007
i drained the oil outa the case but no major shards or even large chips. if the forks are bent there should be some serious chips... i would love to not have to split the cases.... dunno looks like some work

WaltCMoto

Sponsoring Member
Jan 1, 2001
This does sound like bent shift forks or rounded dogs. If its either of these, there will not be any steel traces in the oil. I had a simillar problem, split the cases, had a knowlegable buddie look at it, He showed me all the worn parts, replaced several gears and a couple shift forks. $250 and a few hours of work and I was back riding

eriermrider

Mar 31, 2007
it is looking like i will be yankin a motor... any info on where to obtain parts?? i can do the work just dunno if there is a cheap online site for the materials... thanks all for the help

Top Bottom