Dear Tim Olson,

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Originally posted by BigBore
The best thing about DIRT RIDER is they'll most likely forget about your subscription renewals, and you'll get the magazine free for a few years.

Hmm. Unless you're like my husband-- a loyal subscriber for 10+ years, and gets tired of their BS and doesn't renew. No free issues for us, they had their act together and stopped sending magazines right away. :think

IDKTm-- I was thinking the same thing--who's the DRN crackpot from Omaha?

And the Internet is rife with lies and misleading info, so we should automatically trust big brother MXA, huh? hee,hee, that's pretty funny! :debil:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by LoriKTM
And the Internet is rife with lies and misleading info,

Jody is just annoyed because he thought he had cornered the market on that stuff. :D

Einstein said it best Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. They don't get much more mediocre than MXA.

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
Come on Tim, I was hoping you would really let me have it. Are you gone forever? Or, are you cooking up something big?

The world want's to know.:)

I own a Yamaha...:p

You ride better than me...:(

My wife doesn't like me any more that you do...:confused:

Oh I know, you're going to print my letter in next month's issue. Ok then, I'll wait by the mailbox.:think

redrider30

Feb 6, 2002
The only problem with hating these mags is that the rest of the world eats up every word they print. I've subscribed to MXA, Dirt Bike and Dirt Rider for close to 20 yrs. now. I'm glad that you people have confirmed my thoughts on all of them over the last few yrs. I just thought I was actually growing up and losing interest, when in all actuality theres nothing interesting in them anymore. No more subscriptions for me. RacerX is now where its at. Their mag is how I remember mags being when I was a kid. In depth articles with a sense of humor thrown in. Congrats RacerX, you just found a new customer.

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
Redrider, you are a hillclimber? That is one ballsy sport. You guys are nuts! I've got a ton of admiration for hillclimbers and trials riders (opposite ends of the spectrum to be sure).

redrider30

Feb 6, 2002
Yeah, I'm a hillclimber. I mostly race AMA D23 hillclimbs in MN. Seems the fastest guys in the nation each year come from Minn. I ended up fourth in 600cc this year. My first year in the class though so I hope to improve on that next year. That is if I get the clutch sorted out on the KTM. Actually its not as dangerous as it looks. Well ok maybe it is, but to me it seems a hella lot safer than supercross. Oh, by the way, trials guys aren't human, humans don't have balance like that.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
This is such a great post by Vintage Dirt that it deserves to be pushed back up to the top.

kbud

Aug 28, 2002
i just read the latest issue of mxa and they did a test on the hurricane yellow for yamahas from one industries. they tested this same thing in an earlier issue. that is laziness at its best.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Originally posted by Rich Rohrich

One look at the current issue of Cycle World should give them a good idea of how interesting and fun a magazine can truly be.

yep, i let my dirt bike and mxa subscriptions expire years ago. i still subscribe to cycle world. even though i'm predominately a motocrosser, cycle world keeps me interested in all forms of motorcycling. i'm looking forward to getting a touring bike someday.

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
I am SUCH A LIAR! I did renew my subscriptions. And I did NOT feel better in the morning. :confused:

C

CaNaDiAn,Eh?

I think MXA is defanitely a bad magazine chock full of useless drivel. I wish I had known what it was like when it was a good magazine. It seems to me that every single issue is the same. It is so boring. Every issue has either a 125 shootout or a 250 shootout. Or maybe "How to make your CR-250 the perfect bike" using only mods the people at MXA can afford and that are made by their advertisers!!!MXA is getting so repetitive it makes me sick. Vintage Dirt, maybe you should send all of these replies in with your letter. Then the people at MXA will really know that many many people are beginning to get just a little bit tired of their second rate "magazine" That magazine is one of the thickest out there, when I bought it for the first time I thought that it would be a great magazine...but the whole thing turned out to be advertisements. Another thing that really bugs me is how they seem to allow those that are wrecking motorcycling for everyone to advertise in their magazine. In their magazine they once told the readers that Camelback was a supporter of the Sierra Club and other organizations dedicated to ruining our sport, yet they still allowed them to advertise their in their magazine and they never quite reviewing their products. It would be very nice to read a magazine with a backbone. I wish Rick Sieman was still with MXA, then it would be a terrific magazine. I never read the magazines when he was a part of them but I must say that I absolutely love his website-offroad.com, and I hope to someday own a copy of his book. If we had more people like him fighting for our sport, then our sport wouldn't be in such trouble!!! MXA is defanitely a very very crappy read, and it is time for them to reform.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Let's keep this one alive and well. :debil:

What's sad about this whole deal, is that they've recently started to run snippets on historically important bikes. Problem is, their journalistic integrity is so poor, how could a person even believe or enjoy that section, which IMO, could be the best of all. :ugg:

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Oh, by the way, Dr. Weisel was very, very incorrect on the EBV (epstein barr) virus article. What a joke. Absolute BS. :silly:

2smoke

Sep 21, 2001
Ive said it before and that is that MXA has does have its place........in the toilet......why is it such great bog reading material???.......because it gives everyone the sh%ts. Plus if you run out of paper you can always add to the articles........

kbud

Aug 28, 2002
jody weisel is a joke. i know its been said about how he has his "crowd", but looking through some old magazines, (i am currently laid up so i dont have anything better to do)he said something about how pits at races sould be open to everybody, not just to the people with passes. he made a comment about how the idea of closed pits was created by people who have their own group. sounds awful hippocritical to me.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
I want to say it again: any of you guys and gals that read that article on EBV (EDV as they called it ;) )--just erase that part of the hard drive.

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
A bunch of fellows that claim to hate the rag, swear it off and then read it religiously... :silly:

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Originally posted by CR Swade
A bunch of fellows that claim to hate the rag, swear it off and then read it religiously... :silly:

just junkies. they'll do anything for a fix. addicts have no pride.

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
Hatin' the pusher, hows that old song go " Godd*** the pusher". Maybe we can get these poor souls on a twelve step program of some sorts. Me...I just quit em' all cold turkey about a year ago.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Swade, when I say I've read it, it's either a copy lying around, or more commonly, off the newstand. I won't spend for them, and you won't see one in my hallowed home. ;)

I thought the other day, however, about possibly buying a fresh box of an issue, and send it back with a notorized letter from a lawyer friend of mine indicating a class action lawsuit against them for defamation of the true spirit of science and the experimental method, the absolute consternation of the practice of engineering, and that we will recommend this journal move into a peer review group that decides whether or not it is fit for print. ;)

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
Nephron, don't BS me...you are a closet magazine junkie. I can see it now...Nephron has a group of hard-core, grizzled, no-nonsense off-roaders over to the house. "Hey Nephron, what is this?!", asks one of the gnarlier examples. Yup you guessed it, MXA right next to the Victoria's Secret catalog...you guess which one he is talking about. :confused:

Now i'm just having a little fun with you Nephron. I think WAAYY too many people put too much stock in the ramblings of men, myself included (see I'm rambling now). It's not the writings of past Nobel Peace Prize winners, just motorcycles.

BTW, if I wanted a detailed theory on the physics/practice of performance tuning/mechanics I sure wouldn't turn to a magazine. Whether it is motorcycles/car/boat they are almost all hoars to the advertisers. Hot Rod used to pimp some of the most bogus crap ever unleashed on the public. I found my best info from grumpy-arse tuners that wanted a set result, not a "make sure we make brand XYZ work for this application"

Top Bottom