3KDXXR2

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 3, 2002
Hey glad you got a new pumpkin. Hows about a test ride at SOW. I promise not to follow Woodsy and get lost. :)
Curtis

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
3KDXXR2 said:
Hows about a test ride at SOW. I promise not to follow Woodsy and get lost. :)
Curtis

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!! I'm bustin' a gut!!

:nener:

SPARKEY

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
May 7, 2001
Thanks guys.

I'm very happy with my new pumpkin.

I was thinking of when Fred T called me when he got his first KTM.
I had just bought his Tricked out KDX from him.

he was telling me how sweet his new KTM was, wait till you try'er out.
I told him not to let me ride his bike, for fear I would like it more than the bike I had just bought.
he said OK. (this guy must be nuts) :coocoo:

Fred never did offer me a spin his bike that I can remember, and I never asked for one.
He kept his word.

The morel of this story is if your buddy offers you spin on his KTM.
Don't turn him down.

You never know what you might be missing! :ride:

Sparkey

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
MWEISSEN said:
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!! I'm bustin' a gut!!
:nener:

Haaahaahahahahahha - that is hilarious isnt it?? Like he needs any of my help to get lost hahahahahahaha...
If it wouldnt have been for my keeping the sun on my right shoulder we would still be going North - probably be pulling into Moscow right about now :yikes:
I DO think you can trust him Mark - I will keep an eye on him and Aaron this time.. I PROMISE :laugh:

tall1

Mi. Trail Riders
Nov 1, 2002
70 marlin said:
Sparky & Gary those are beautiful bikes! Gary don’t worry about the hit, just ride harder! Any chance you still have that spare receiver bike hauler?

Ride Harder... :coocoo: Heck, I'm lucky just to hang on to the thing. I have got to figure out the power valve adjustment thing, can't find any information on it in the manuel. Any body wants that bike carrier, I'll make a sweet deal on it. e-mail me.... :laugh:

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
tall1 said:
Ride Harder... :coocoo: Heck, I'm lucky just to hang on to the thing. I have got to figure out the power valve adjustment thing, can't find any information on it in the manuel. Any body wants that bike carrier, I'll make a sweet deal on it. e-mail me.... :laugh:

Whats the bike carrier look like? On the 03 250 E you can turn the PV adjustment IN to add some delay to the hit. I also believe you can try straight taper needles such as DDK, DEK to take some hit out. Try Sudco or Carb parts warehouse. I used to have one and they got some motor thats fo sho.

tall1

Mi. Trail Riders
Nov 1, 2002
Fred, Thanks for the Ideas... I did get quite an assortment of jets and needles with the bike, I'll have to open up the carb and see whats in there. I don't know if the 250 and the 200 have the same power valve. I did find a link at KTM talk that some what desribes the power valve settings. It showed moving the line up marks on the left side of the cylinder towards the upper alignment mark to give the powerband more torque. Problem is, they didn't exactly show what they were wrenching on to move the alignment marks??? :bang:

The bike carrier pictures are here...
http://www.parrett.net/~jesswg/mc1.jpg
http://www.parrett.net/~jesswg/mc2.jpg
http://www.parrett.net/~jesswg/mc3.jpg

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Gary, the power valve adjustment on the 200 and 250 are different. There's an adjustment screw on the 250, you'll have to adjust based upon the line-up of the screw slot and the feel of the bike when riding it. Jetting makes a big different on the powerband, and the needles Fred recommended to a good job of tempering the hit.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Gary: Drop me some mail on that bike carrier. marzec @ umich.edu (take the spaces out of adress)

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
I don’t know if the ’03 is the same as the ’05 but these photos will give you a general idea of how to adjust the preload on the PV spring. Just turn it in to add preload and delay the opening of the power valve.

http://www.enduroeng.com/item.asp?ItemID=191&Category=New_Products&Placeholder=0

Somewhere I read a rule of thumb that one full turn in delays the opening by 750 RPM. Take that with a grain of salt………but again, you’ll get a general idea of how it works. If your ’03 has the same adjustment screw, one of those wrenches is a great little tool to carry in your fanny pack.

There are also lighter and heavier springs available. New bikes typically come with three different weight PV springs. Did you receive any springs with your bike?

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Fred and the others are right on the money with the power valve and jetting fine tuning. Made a significant difference on my old 300. Key with the jetting is straight taper needle (the DDK Fred mentioned), and making sure it is not loading up down low, then "clearing its throat" and suddenly coming alive!

If you feel the jetting and powervalve changes are not enough, consider adding a flywheel weight - really smooths out the hit, makes the bike less prone to stalling in tight slow technical stuff (and over exuberant rear brake use), reduces wheelspin etc. But, it will slow down how quickly the bike gets up on the pipe. I ended up with one on my 300 - loved it. I also put one on my son's KDX to make it more managable for him. Cost is around $100 I think. Do the other (free!) stuff, first, see how it works though.

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Tim, the engine changed in '04, so the pre-'04 adjustment is different - straight-slot screw head, and no different pre-load springs (at least not with the bike).

Gary, the biggest difference on my old '02 KTM came with jetting, especially matching the pilot to needle valve transition point. I personally didn't notice as much with a powervalve change, but I would still suggest trying to change it anyway.

Also, if you're riding it in the cold with the stock jetting, your pilot may be lean, which will make the bike feel like it's got more of a hit when the needle valve takes over and has a closer gas:air ratio that's closer to accurate.

SirShawn

Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 21, 2005
Confused!

So orange = Pumpkin
Green = Cabbage
Blue = ?
Yellow = ?
Red = ?

I haven't been a member here very long but are the cabbages losing to the pumpkins? (yes, that reads as weird as it felt writing it!)

I must get down with the lingo!! BTW, all that stuff you guys were saying in the early posts.... :blah: to me. I dont get it. I have much to learn!

I do actually have a question... I cannot seem to find a 2001 KX250 owners and repair manual. Anyone help me?

CONGRATS ON THE NEW BIKE by the way!!!

3KDXXR2

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 3, 2002
Check out E*ay they seem to have manuals sometimes.
Curtis

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Get the owners manual first - go to a Dealer and order one thru them, the "Owners Manuals" are fairly inexpensive and it pretty amazing how much info there is in them!!
A shop manual is a different story. If it were me and it was going to be my rider I would get a genuine Kawasaki Manual.. I have seen the aftermarket stuff leave out some pretty essential stuff (I have a Clymers for my KX5 and it doesnt even show bore size!!!!!)...
Did you try BuyKawasaki.com ??

SirShawn

Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 21, 2005
Hmmm.... I'll go talk to the dealer first Woodsy. Thanks for the tip!! If that doesn't work, I'll try your link jnugent! Thanks for the help fellas!!!
;)

tall1

Mi. Trail Riders
Nov 1, 2002
Sounds like a lot of good information there guys... THANKS for all the input. I'm trying the power valve first because it is the cheapest mod there is. My engine doesn't look like the picture at Enduro Engineering, but in about the same location I see a large cap nut. I'll bet the adjustment is under that. I'm guessing this is just a preload adjustment on a spring. Is there any lock nut on it?? Or does it just stay put on its own?

I'll probably order a new needle for the carb too. I don't see a DDK needle in my jetting kit. Do KTM dealers stock the needles, or is Sudco the only place to get one?

Dirt Rider magazine had an article on a 05 200 EXC that was modified with a reed spacer, and a FMF gnarly woods pipe. Anyone have any experience with these mods? Some people tell me the pipe will give the bike more torque and pull smoother than if it had a flywheel weight. The pipe cost the most, but It wouldn't surprize me if the most expensive option worked the best. I am used to a KDX 220 that has a bunch of low end grunt, and that just makes the EXC seem a little weak until the midrange kicks in and then all hell brakes loose.... :yikes:

BTW Woodsy is right about the Kawasaki manuels, They are very good, and for some unexplained reason, Kawasaki doesn't over charge you for them. :cool:

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
I'll bet Jeff Fredette could help you lay your hands on a Kawasaki shop manual. I have ordered KDX shop manuals through FRP before. I think they were about $30.00.

http://www.frpoffroad.com/

Yeah, they are a good source of info. The KDX manuals even show you how to disassemble and service the shock whereas other manuals I have used don't.

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Gary, sorry about some of my advice, I thought you got a 250. When I read "cap nut" I realized you got a 200. Smitdog and SGJ_Johanson have 200's, they may have more advice as well. I still think the needle Fred mentioned works on the 200 the same way.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Quote: On the 03 250 E...

I too thought it was a 2 fiddy. my mistake. Ok for a pipy 200 the stright taper needle helps, the 46 rear sprocket helps too. You are on your own trying the Langston PV adjustment.

did you sell that hitch rack to marlin?

SirShawn

Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 21, 2005
HAHA... I was wondering when someone was going to speak up. It makes sense INCA.... kinda. :cool:

Thanks Badger for the info!!!

Top Bottom