Do as I say, not as I do, BS??

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
Okay, this is for all you Managers or Boss types.

How many of you operate under the "act/do as I say not as I act/do" rule?

How many of you get pissed at your employess for doing the same things YOU do?

I guess I should be more specific. If you spend hours in the day on the cell phone with your boyfriend or sister can you in good conscience give an employee attitude for being on the phone with their Mother for 5 minutes?!

If you spend a sufficient amount of time in a friend/co-workers office gossiping and gabbing can you then find fault in an employee who may do the same?

If you take 2+ hour lunch breaks to go shopping at the mall or get a pedicure do you feel it's right to huff and puff if an employee takes their legal right to 2 15 minute breaks a day, especially when said employee works until 7 or 8 sometimes even 9:00 at night?

Is it right for a boss to give you a lower rating under "Dependability" on a review because you took 5 days of earned vacation in a row?

Do you give your employees attitude if they are out sick one day when you take days off to go to the spa or take the day off after a party you've thrown?

I guess what I'm asking is, is it common practice for bosses to behave/act one way but expect their employees to behave/act another? I really don't know because I've basically had the same boss for the past 5 or 6 years at two different jobs.

Personally I don't think so, but my Mother said "she's the boss, she can do whatever she wants". I didn't agree. I think the "boss" should set a precedent and act/behave how they would wish their employees to act/behave. Am I wrong? :think

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
I see you got your review back.... Did you get caught talking on DRN? :)

dhoward

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 7, 2000
Originally posted by MikeT
I see you got your review back.... Did you get caught talking on DRN? :)
Beat me to it Mike!
As a boss i always told my people that I would not ask them to do anything I wouldn't do myself. I would just ask them 'cause they were better at it!
By the same token, if I took them out for beers, They better not call in sick the next day. :)

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
Originally posted by MikeT
I see you got your review back....
No, I haven't

I'm just pissed because Anne (shredn'Annie) our Benefits Coordinator was just in my office to drop some forms off and we were chatting for a bit when my boss comes charging in with her hands on her hips throwing the attitude, she so famous for, around saying "if you got time to be chit chatting then you've got time to do blah, blah, blah, blah". Funny thing is, she's good friends with Anne's boss and the two of them are constantly shooting the shtuf, yet I get my head ripped off for doing the same!

And the thing about the "Dependability" rating was on last years review. I took 4 or 5 days of EARNED vacation to go to the spodefest. All of a sudden I'm not dependable?!! Excuuuse me! Where does it stipulate in the Employee handbook that although the company gives you 3 weeks vacation you are going to be given grief if you take it or don't take it how the boss would prefer you take it, one day at a time, here and there or NEVER?! Oh that's right, we don't HAVE an Employee handbook!!

She has always been this way and did the same thing at my old job. It got so bad at one point half of the accounting department wanted to quit! I must have been out of my mind to accept her offer to join her at this company! But I wanted to get out of my old company VERY badly. :(

Don't get me wrong, she can be really cool at times. We even went out for drinks last week but her hypocracy really pisses me off sometimes!

If I get a poor rating this year for going to Dirtweek 02 I am going to be livid!

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
My favorite is "Time and Place Girls". We would get that ALL the time at my old company if we got to gabbing and were making too much noice. Yet she and one of the Exec Assistants would be in her office whooping it up ALL the time, we could hear them in our office across the way!

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
Originally posted by gospeedracer
If I get a poor rating this year for going to Dirtweek 02 I am going to be livid!
I'm going to get a poor rating if I don't go.:scream:

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
sounds like a gender problem :p :confused:

just kidding Speedy

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Sounds like there is going to be a cat fight in your office! I think if we got a camera crew in there we could sell tickets! :)

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
Originally posted by Offroadr
sounds like a gender problem
Ya, I know, really. Chicks, whaddya gonna do. :silly:

She is famous for what I've named THE DEATH STARE she has this way of glaring at you that could probably almost kill you if you were to look directly at her!! she loves it though. I told her what I call it and she was beaming with pride. :silly: I gave her my "mini death stare" when she stormed in here earlier.

I've had it out with her before when I've had enough and bust out with it. She usually feels bad and backs off so I don't know why she still tries to pull this kind of crap.

Maybe it's time for her to get a new boytoy 15 years her junior. Her current one must be wearing out. :p

Last edited:

LWilson250

Jan 1, 2001
She is famous for what I've named THE DEATH STARE she has this way of glaring at you that could probably almost kill you if you were to look directly at her!! she loves it though. I told her what I call it and she was beaming with pride. :silly:

I have always called it the gaze of medusa, not only does it kill ya but turns you to stone for all the fellow employees to see.

Lee W.

Yamamoto

Uhhh...
Apr 3, 2001
depends

Your Free time or My company time?

I will not pay you to gabber but if its your Lunch break, do as you wish as long as it does not bother your work For ME ME ME !!!

Coop

Jan 21, 2000
I guess this is why I'm unemployed so often :p I cannot keep feeling like yours to myself and usually let them be known to whoever irks me.

If it is ok for them to talk at the coffee machine, then if I want to stop and ask someone if they are going riding this weekend, they need not give me greif. Like I said, no wonder...:D

kingriz1

Aug 2, 2001
If you were working at Mc Dolands I could understand, but a staff accountant sounds like a professional position.

Tell her to shove it. You are an employee not a slave! Find another job.

As far as being a boss she should set a good example. Or at least dont let people know she is out goofing off.

How is the job market there?

Sincerely,

Riz

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
My boss/owner wanders in between 9 and 12. I come in at 7ish and leave at 3:30 most days. I do get the occasional "clock watcher" comment.

In my opinion its his company and he can do whatever he wants. As long as he signs my paycheck I dont really care.

chadk01

Sponsoring Member
Aug 19, 2000
This can be a double edge sword. If you work for someone who goofs off and blows smoke...etc....yet comes to you when they suspect the same, you do have fire power....If you work for someone who is completely by the book and you goof off then you don't leave yourself much room to stand. It can be good or bad. I certainly understand your frustration and I wish there was an easy answer, however, there is not. A mechanical problem with our bikes (For the most part) can be black and white......bike won't start, check plug, plug is fouled, change plug, bike starts. However, in a situation such as you mention, the human factor can cloud the air and make things vastly confusing, and frustrating........Hang in there.....Maybe you should show her the nice DW poster which was placed in your bushes:scream: :scream:

Yamamoto

Uhhh...
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by RMjeff
My boss/owner wanders in between 9 and 12. I come in at 7ish and leave at 3:30 most days. I do get the occasional "clock watcher" comment.

In my opinion its his company and he can do whatever he wants. As long as he signs my paycheck I dont really care.

when I use to work for someone that was my attitude.

You will go far, trust me.

I am here typing on drn and my employee is packing up a few ups packages, if it bothers him that I have put myself in a position to do so then he can check out when he feels good and fit.

P.S. I had caught him on Internet Por() and told him I do not like that and if he wants access to the internet he will not do that anymore.

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
Originally posted by RMjeff
My boss/owner wanders in between 9 and 12....its his company and he can do whatever he wants. As long as he signs my paycheck I dont really care.
That's an entirely different situation. I wouldn't say a word if that was the case. If I didn't like it I'd take a hike. But that is not the case here. She's not the owner, and does not sign my paycheck, she's just part of Management. Now if the founder of our company wanted to rollerblade through the halls singing show tunes in a tutu, I could care less. ;)

I've simmered down a bit since this morning. All in all, I've got a pretty good deal here. I like the people here and the layed back atmosphere....and the cappachino machine........ :confused:

I know you're quite the 'charmer' and all Strick but I don't think that will be necessary. :p

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Typical boss-hypocrite all the way, i find if you ignore them they ususally go away after a while , and if your a good employee they will not sack you as they know good staff are real hard to find.I find occasionally you have to stand up for yourself no matter what or the boss will bully more and more-it just the way it is-stand up for yourself or be a doormat its entirely the persons decision.Alot of bosses have a act they put on IMO to get what they want-they throw a tantrum get what they want then walk out smiling while you are fuming-its all a game-a power game:debil:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I don't ask for anything I am not willing and usually do myself. I let A LOT of crap slide because when it comes to the deadline line they better come through or maybe we need to start playing by the book doting the I's and crossing the T's. I try and let everybody be an adult and do the right thing, that being work hard when you need to and slack a bit when the pressure is off. Sometimes I need to break up a party because it just starts sucking the whole office in to it. It really depends on the person, I've had people that would push every inch and then cry foul. That REALLY tweaks my twinkie! Basically if you do right by me I do right by you, you try and jerk me around and I'll return the favor. The flip side is almost every civil engineer I've ever worked with has a superior attitude and expects you to bleed for them on demand even if they decide to go golf. That is a real twinkie twister and something I don't tolorate. I've even had one newbie EIT tell me "I'm an engineer, I make the rules.":eek: "Really? We have a different rule book here." "Oh yeah? Let's go talk to the president about that! Right now!!" You sure you want to do this? I think it's a mistake.:silly: (stomp, stomp, stomp off to the office of the biggest cheese). Scene two finds our pal running down the hall with his pocket protector melted :p

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
The more I read about what you guys have to put up with, the more I like my job! :)

I do have three guys to answer to, but they're elected, and I'm not.;)

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
sometimes I feel like I'm back in high school when I'm at work. The management staff is female, which isn't a problem. They sit around and chit chat all the while making sure that the rest of us grunt workers are keeping up our end of the deal, they become so distracted it's like they forget they're at work and do relatively little. They do all of the hiring and hire mostly friends of theirs, or friends of friends and whatnot, so they chat some more. Then when evaluation time comes around I get bashed for not doing work when I really do more work than most others :think they say that it's "constructive criticism" and that since I'm such a good sport about not complaining when I get bashed that they just throw something else on there. Taking advantage of someone's good nature to make themselves feel more powerful is just wrong. All the time I'm at work I can't help but count down the time until I get my degree and get a real job. Some co-workers of mine tend to receive great reviews, when they have several complaints on file from users who say they have bad attitudes and are very unhelpful with technical questions. They don't receive writeups when late for their shifts, and get time off whenever they request it. I wanted to take two days off work to go to dirtweek and I had to find replacements for my scheduled shifts :silly:
It's all a big popularity contest I think :mad:

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000

rollerblade through the halls singing show tunes in a tutu

Another Gomer?! :scream:

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Even if she's lighting farts and flicking boogers- Speedy as much as I know you'd love to do the same, if her rules prohibit it, then you're up "shinola" creek. :p This isn't a matter of how things should be, but rather how they are. It's up to you to decide how to deal with it.

That kind of conduct is usually found at Longs Drug Stores, or McDonalds- the bottom of the management barrel. No offense to anyone who works at Longs- I know how hard a job that is, I spent all of high school working there. I had a manager just like yours- a total horse's butt. Whatever he told me to do, though, I did it no matter how rediculous. I even put up with his "More work, less chatter boys" comments he loved to hiss (apparently it's not very efficient to talk & sack toilet paper at the same time). After a while, the store manager eventually noticed what we were all steaming about and fired his lazy arse. Right after that, I had a manager who treated us like he'd want to be treated himself, way cool with us as long as we did our job & did it well, & he rewarded us often. I loved this guy so much, that I always wanted to please him, & worked my butt off for minimum wage just to make my manager happy. Of course, he didn't last long- good managers never do, they're always recruited for bigger, better things.

I think the success in the Silicon Valley is proof positive that there are better ways to manage employees-- basically the bottom line is make your work environment as comfortable as possible, and so long as you do the work & do it to your best ability, you're golden. So far, it seems to really work. Happy employees are the most productive employees. Disgruntled employees spend their paychecks on liquor & guns:ugg:

Of course, once you throw two women together, all rules fly out the door:p

Last edited:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom