Do I have serious engine problems???

NWetRider

Sep 24, 2004
I took off my flywheel cover last night and if I pull up hard on the flywheel I can get a tiny bit of movement. It is not enough to see or even really feel but there is just a little knock sound. Is this big trouble?

The bottom end only has 6 hours on it. I replaced the right case and after I was done I think I read something about having to replace the case halves as a pair but I am not sure if that is for all bikes. When I bought the case half from service honda it was a single part number. Also I had a hard time getting the left main bearing in and had to take it back out a couple times. The only way to do this is to push it from the center. I posted here and asked a shop and they said it would be fine but it just didn't feel as nice as I thought it should so I am concerned. Also, when I was doing 10 minute heat cycle rides to break the motor in I pulled the cover and thoight the flywheel was a lot warmer then it should be. Am I just being parinoid or do I have a problem?

Bike is a 99 CR250.

Bodge

~SPONSOR~
Oct 4, 2003
A little in and out is fine, the up and down is what you need to worry about. Id say you are fine. Just check it every few rides to see if it gets worse.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
It really should not move at all. I replaced the left case on my 99 just a few weeks ago. After breaking it in and running it hard for a few hours I have zero play whatsoever. Replacing a case half isn't a problem. I would be more worried about the problem you had installing the main bearing. They don't like to be side-loaded. I don't think it will be a major problem, as I was riding on my worn bearings that had both vertical and horizontal play. I would ride the bike and watch the movement very closely to see if it gets worse. Also, heat the case in a toaster oven or with a propane torch until water sizzles off of it and then a pre-frozen main bearing will drop right in. On a related note, if you need a new main bearing, I have an extra one that I don't need. Either way, good luck.

NWetRider

Sep 24, 2004
I got the heat/freese info here on this site and that is how I finally got it together. Next time I should get it right the first try. It still was a far cry from just dropping in though but at least I could drive it in straight with a bearing driver. Interesting that they droped in to your 99.

I guess I'll just keep an eye on it. The bike is used in the woods and never wound up so if it does get bad I guess I should be able to catch it before anything harmful happens.

Thanks.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
Both bearings literally dropped in. When I stood the case up, one bearing fell back out. I had the bearings in the freezer for about 4 hours and heated the cases very slowly to about 225 deg.

NWetRider

Sep 24, 2004
Maybe they are all a little different then? The old bearing took a lot of force to remove also.

How is the top end on your bike? I'm trying to figure out the jetting and it dosn't fall flat on the top or sputter on anything like that but it doesn't pull hard. From what I understand this is a low end motor so I am not sure if it is running as it should or if the jetting is not right. The previous owner had a 178 main in there but I wanted to be safe so I went with a 185 which is still leaner then what MXA recomended.

Top Bottom