butasan

Nov 25, 2007
I've been riding a 07' YZ250F at track and started feel that the power is not enough. I'd like to get 450, but I can't really afford right now. However I do have a 07' WR450F with AIS removal kit installed and some other chunks removed.

I'd like to take my WR450 for a track riding. Should I at least change the springs? My concern is that the WR's suspension is too soft so that it would be pretty dangerous for some jumps(though I don't do bone crashing big jumps).

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
butasan said:
I'd like to take my WR450 for a track riding. Should I at least change the springs? My concern is that the WR's suspension is too soft QUOTE]

The suspension depends on you and your weight and riding style. The softer suspension may work for you.

I ran a WR400F on the track and it worked pretty good. I had to go up on the spring rate but used the stock valving. The biggest problem with the WR was the seating position. With the WR gas tank you couldn't get far enough forward on the jumps and in the corners. By changing over to the YZ gas tank and seat it made a completely different motorcycle out of it. The WR has a much lower first gear and you will find yourself shifting more than you would with a YZ gearbox. The YZ fenders will interchange also.

Best thing is to take it out and try it. Try casing it on some of the 'SMALLER' jumps to see how the bike will react. You can go up on the compression clickers and go to a heavier fork oil if the bike is bottoming. If you do all of that and the bike still bottoms out, then change your springs and consider revalving.

Just my $ .02

Pantera

Nov 25, 2001
You own and ride both bikes.You tell us.What do you think? Is your track jumpy? If you can downside the jumps with the 450 easier, you wont need stiffer springs.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Pantera said:
If you can downside the jumps with the 450 easier, you wont need stiffer springs.

Unless you come up short. :yikes: Then, the stiffer springs will be worth their weight in gold. :nod:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom