Eric Powers

Aug 27, 2003
Can anyone tell me what the main differences are between bikes setup for MX and bikes setup for Enduro racing? Please be specific i.e.

Higher/lower gear ratio for enduro over MX
Higher/Lower compression
Firmer/Softer suspension
Tires/brakes etc.

I have two 'off road' bikes a Suzuki PE 175 and a Suzuki DR100 (my son's bike) both of which are essentially Enduro bikes as I understand it (very new to dirt stuff). I can pretty much do anything to a motorcycle that can be imagined from performance engine work to complete design and fabrication of frames and components (I own a fully equipped machine shop).

If I wanted to compete in MX with my PE175 what types of modifications would be appropriate? I can regear for higher/lower torque/top end, or just about anything that needed to be done.

I know some of you are going to recommend buying a different bike, but I would rather build up something from what I have even if it is not the most competitive thing on the market just for the enjoyment I get from making things run in ways they aren't supposed to.

What I'm really looking for here is basic information on the differences in power range/ torque /top end/ handling characteristics of the bikes used in each type of racing.

Thanks for your input

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
The first thing you'd need to do is to replace the entire suspension. Seriously. Might as well get forks off of an MX bike and a new shock. At that point you could then jump the bike and not break it in two.

Then you'd have to have the head ported, a new pipe, and maybe a bigger carb. Keep in mind the PE is air cooled and would never make as much power as a late model water cooled bike.

By the time you get all of that done, you could have taken the money you've spent and bought a used 250 MX bike. And doesn't everyone want another bike in the garage????? :)

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
The best thing you can do to a PE175 for motocross is to leave it in the truck. Really.

You'll spend countless time and money making modifications to the bike and in the end in wont be practical or fun on a track. It might not even be fun on the trails anymore.

I know you don’t want to hear this, but take the $1,500 that you were going to invest in that PE and buy a nice 125. Heck, if you are looking for a project, buy a POS 125 and rebuild it. This way you’ll satisfy all of your desires.

Top Bottom