YZ/250

Dec 17, 2006
Im going to look at a 2001 Kawi 400 enduro in the morning. Im mainly a Yamaha man. Anybody have and advice on the 2001 enduros? I guess the guy put a 500.00 light kit on it and rode it to work. I was thinking a dual bike might be fun.

zero_it

~SPONSOR~
May 20, 2000
Guessing that this is the Suzuki DRZ400 in Kawasaki trim (which I thought happened in about 2003?). If so, once you get it jetted rich enough to make it reasonable to ride, the gas tank is too small. IMS makes a good oversized tank that is actually narrower at the seat/tank junction making the bike a little more comfortable to ride. I had a 2000 DRZ 400E that I put a Baja Designs dual sport kit on. It worked pretty good for a dual sport bike, but it's heavy when doing any serious trail riding. I had the shock revalved, which made it much more fun to ride offroad. In stock trim the suspension would scare the crap out of me in the whoops and beat my back into a pulp. Much improved after the revalve. The clutch cover and water pump cover are very vulnerable to being smashed in the rocks. Go with a good quality, high coverage skid plate. That's the major stuff I can think of. After that it's mainly rider preference.

TPbeMe

Dec 2, 2000
I agree with "Zero It's" post.

I had a 2000 DRZ 400 E, too. It was a boat anchor of a bike. By far, not the ideal tight woods bike.

As for dual sporting...

You might want to consider the "S" version (Suzuki), since it was produced as a dual-sport bike.

As well, pay close attention to the intake valves. They're made from a soft metal and tend to wear quickly. If the intake valves are out of adjustment, the bike will usually be hard to, if not impossible, to start.

Happy shopping,

TP
'03 EC 300

Top Bottom