Eric/Rich: Advice needed before I fill out this Service Form

SplitfireKX

Dec 20, 2004
Well, I finally got my hands on a newer bike after my brother offered me an incredible deal on his 02 CR250 ($1000). The bike is basically stock except for a Pro Circuit pipe and PC Short Silencer. I'm coming off a 97 KX125 that is very top end built and has nearly no bottom/midrange. Although I do enjoy being on a bike that finally has some bottom/mid, I'd like to get some good gains on the top with this bike, as I live around big open fields, and lakes which we ride on during the winter. Most of my riding is recreational and done in areas where you can really open the bike up, so we end up having lots of all out power races around here, and there are a couple CRF450's that I'd like to be able to toy with. I guess I'm just looking for recommendations on what to check off on this service form and I know you're busy and dont want to bother you over the phone. The top end is original from day one, so I'm thinking a bore/hone job should be done, but I dont know if the overbore is worth it for me. I'm also wondering what you'd recommend for reed valves and all that, so I can go ahead and get all the parts I need at once. Also, should I be looking into a 39mm Keihin PWK? I see those are popular for the CR's. As it is right now, my KX125, having port work, carb work, reeds, a pipe/silencer etc. can hold its own quite well against the CR if driven right, but thats only because its top end power band is very strong, which is why I'd like to gain some power up top with the bike. Thanks for your advice in advance, and I look forward to dealing with you.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
This is a question that could be best answered by Eric. I'll make sure he sees it and gives you his thoughts.

Top Bottom