Ever have a bike from your past turn out better than your remembered???

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
I did today in a big way.

I bought a couple of KTM 420's a couple of years ago...promptly put them on the back burner as I was riding my 430 Husqvarna and VOR's. I picked up another 420 a couple of days ago and FINALLY decided to put one together to ride.

I had 3 of them when I was a young racer (A pre-production 1979, a true 1979 and 1980 MC80) and they were my favorite bikes of all time. I was almost afraid to have my memories of the bikes I turned expert on, be mashed in the wheels of reality...so 2 years on the back burner....finally with the arrival of this GS420 (Enduro version of MC) that came my way; and I had to do something with the pile of KTM JUNK :yikes: to justify them...so I stuck one together today with "ok" shocks (one out of nitrogen & the other just "OK"), old Metzler tires, lousy cables..etc.

Put an hour or so to shake it down to see where I need to go with it to make it ridable.

WOW!! It is SO MUCH better than I remembered. Turns way better than my Husky's (dare I say better than the VOR?) It feels like a feather weight as compared to what I have been riding. The Rear suspension... even in its patched together state was as I remembered...is very nice. The fork was undersprung and the front brake cable is frayed to the point of hindering braking....but the motor is perfect. Mellow bottom end with a BUTT kick for a top end. The chassis was and seems to be...right. (For me) Felt just as I remembered and was so familiar it is almost scary. (Can you remember those type of things THAT long???? 23-24years?)

Makes me want to ride again. Now I'm wondering why it took so damn long for me to build what I KNEW was my favorite bike of all time. :nod: Definilty a case of reality better than memorys!

(ALL my buddies of the time who had Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Honda......... HATED my KTM's.! :moon: )

(By the way..I DIDN"T like the 495, they got really heavy ..especially when they went to the single shock rear suspension...and the geometry was not the same. They didn't turn as well.)

Last edited:

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
well i have , i owned a 1988 cr250 in 1988- 1990 and picked up another one in 2002 it sparked up the flame. i got an '03 cr now and am banging my :bang: :bang: i missed 10 years

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
My NEXT favorite bikes were the 1986 CR500 and 87 CR250's....everything else kinda blends....

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
I remember how well my sand spider turned, the shifting was magic too.
My rm125a was the first bike I rode with a bark.
My pioneer mini "P" was my first chainsaw and it would tach 15k and just pull.
I would love all of these in my stable.
I would love to have the chance to re-experience these.

Top Bottom