tony_d123

Nov 28, 2007
When I bought my 2003 KDX220R it came with a spare exhaust. Just noticed today that this exhaust has a manifold collar for fixing to the barrel with studs. It looks identical to my standard exhaust apart from this collar and the end of the pipe (where it goes into the exhaust port is smooth has no grooves for o-rings.

I looked at the barrel and it has two threaded holes where studs could be fitted but I thought all 200/220's were fitted just with the o-rings and springs?

I am fed up with my standard exhaust leaking all the time (even with silicone) and was thinking about using this exhaust with studs to properly seal against the copper crush gasket. Can anyone shed any light on where this exhaust may have come from and any potential problems?

tony_d123

Nov 28, 2007
0812272.jpg

0812273.jpg

0812271.jpg

tony_d123

Nov 28, 2007
Wondering whether this is an exhaust for a jap import SR as that is the only model I can't find a fiche for.

Makes me think the exhaust has been previously fitted (hence the stud holes) or it is possibly a SR barrel? If that is the case, why the different mounting? Is one engine rubber mounted and one rigid?

tony_d123

Nov 28, 2007
After painting wth BBQ paint, fitted the flanged (SR?) pipe today and it went on like a dream. Started it up, no leaks and ultra quiet, perfect for "stealth" trail riding in the UK. Happy days!

0901042.jpg

0901043.jpg

0901044.jpg

flapwick

Dec 30, 2008
Hey Tony,your pipe looks great!Glad to hear that worked for you.Was the collar put on before the last piece of pipe was welded on,or does it also have those 2 seperate half round pieces that the collar pushes against?Would that collar work with your stock pipe,or mine?Thanks.You're going to have to keep your bike EXTRA clean now to keep up with that pipe!

tony_d123

Nov 28, 2007
The collar was put on before the last piece of pipe was welded on, no split collets. I presume it is a standard "SR" pipe but I cannot find any parts fiches to confirm it and I still cannot understand why Kawasaki would have two different fixing details for essentially the same engine?

tony_d123

Nov 28, 2007
flapwick said:
I can't figure it out,What is an "SR".

The street legal version that comes with autolube, upside down forks, possibly steel tank and a few other bits and pieces. Mine is a regular enduro model but you sometimes see them here in the UK as Jap imports.

I presume that the previous owner had picked this pipe up off eBay or something then thought it would not fit.

Kurt Franz

Apr 8, 2008
In addition to the collar, I believe the SR street legal KDX model exhausts were also different with regards to the actual shape of the pipe in that they had less of a "chamber" so to speak and more "skinny" pipe up front. This was done to make the characteristics of the bike more "streetable" with regards to 4-stroking.

tony_d123

Nov 28, 2007
Kurt Franz said:
In addition to the collar, I believe the SR street legal KDX model exhausts were also different with regards to the actual shape of the pipe in that they had less of a "chamber" so to speak and more "skinny" pipe up front. This was done to make the characteristics of the bike more "streetable" with regards to 4-stroking.

Doesn't look like it externally, identical to the naked eye, but of course it is double skinned so could be different inside. It feels pretty much the same to ride, just quieter, but that is mainly just down to it sealing better.

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
I'm digging back through old threads trying to educate myself as I start recovering my craigs list rescue back to the land of the living...

How is this holding up? I'm very interested in giving up a little power to get a lot less noise and mess, and don't mind welding to get there.

Any broken studs? Any good wrecks on the thing that suggest rigid mounting makes the engine susceptible to damage from pipe doinks?

Thanks for any updates...

tony_d123

Nov 28, 2007
I have ridden approx. 250 miles so far, mainly on trails and it is holding up well.

Not had any big knocks yet so no problems with the studs but will keep you updated if there are any changes.

Top Bottom