DaveRS575

Sponsoring Member
Aug 15, 2002
I was so psyched to ride all week I hardly got any sleep. I'd had the bike now for a week and hadn't even gotten it out of 2nd gear in my tiny backyard... I was ready for Sunday! Maiden Voyage on my new '94 KDX 200!

Sunday morning, woke up to a total downpour of rain. (booo) We decided to be real Marlboro men though and the three of us struck out for Jackson NJ (one hour drive South Jersey) to "The Pit" as these kids called it. Steve with His 80 over YZ 125 and me mine.

The rain kept coming...the farther south we drove, the heavier it became....I'm thinking twice...but keep driving toward the objective.

Around 10am we make it to "The Pit" and I can't believe my eyes!!! Not a single other rider, and several of square miles of Dunes, Jumps, single track, whoops, and and woods trails all to ourselves!

It looked mostly set up for Quads, but so many wild berms and jumps I rushed to get on my gear and get dirty! Fired the KDX up on the first kick after changing into my gear and took off cautiously as the whole first area was very wet sand and lots of obstacles. Steep hills, deep puddles, and crazy whoops all over the place. I wound her out to get a feel for the handeling, went into a BIG berm and had my very first dump when I caught too much traction, and too much gas and flew out of the berm high landing me and the bike on our side. Soft sand...no injury... whew.

Got back on... ran it out to 5th gear again, and crossed the top of a massive berm that could not be seen from the angle I was coming into it. Straight over the top, and straight down across the apex !!! Aaaaaaaaaaahhhhh!!!!! I thought for sure I was going over the handlebars but got so far back on the seat my ass got wet from the rear tire!!! When I hit the bottom which shot straight back up, the KDX and I shot straight back up.... no fall!!! Woo Hoo! (Pulled over for a minute to catch my breath and let my heart rate slow to about 200 beats per minute) (pant pant)

We ran around four about 4 hours like this and I was having so much fun I had to explore another trial before we left, so Steve and I ran out this woods trail and discovered a huge packed sand oval track! Finally I can hit sixth gear!!! Woo Hoo! We gun it and Steve and I are running neck and neck, we are coming across some rocks toward the third turn so I go wide and he goes inside... In going wide I found myself heading for the biggest puddle of the day!!! We didn't even notice it when we cam into the area! I decide to leave the oval and head right for it!! It was about 100 feet wide, by 30-40 feet long...I figure...Keep speed up, stay off to the left, and hit it fast ... well.. I hit it doing about 40 MPH in 4th gear feel the water and it's getting deper and deeper..!!! I downshift, crack the throttle wide open and get the front tire out and fly through the rest of the puddle unscathed!!! Woo Hooo!!! Steve wants to go too!!!

He comes back around and I stay over to the side watching...He is a little crazier than I... he winds his bike out in 5th gear screaming across the wet sand...hits the water and Boom!!! Huge Plume of Water!!!!!! and out he flys in a wheelie!! WOWEEEE!! I decide I have to take one more run at it, and decide I'll go even farther into the middle of it... I gun it out in 4th gear, and whack fith just before the puddle.. WHAM! Hit the water with my front tire, and gun it The water was MUCH deeper than I though, in fact...OVER MY KNEES!!!! :eek: The water made such a huge plume I couldn't see a thing, I was under water and still flying through, I had to close my eyes and stop breathing from all the water!! , I started to get really really wobbly.... but I stayed on the throttle and came out almost completely off the bike!!!!!

Steve of course, watching me and laughing his ass off...I am gasping for breath and screaming at the top of my lungs!! Woooo Hooooo!!!!!!!

I was as wet as a person could possibly be, so we rode back to the vehicles and called it a day!

I can't wait till next week!

11 Years is too long to wait to get back on! I can't believe what I have been missing all thee years!

PS: Next time I will remember to take my wallet out of my pocket before riding! :silly:

Dave :)

new kidd

Dec 3, 2001
Glad to hear someone in New Jersey had a good ride. But please remember do not give out the location of "THE PIT" on any of these message boards. The game wardens and police monitor these message boards. The reason the pit was empty is because it was probably raided recently. The Nazis (game wardens and cops) do rotating patrols of all the riding areas in New Jersey. I went fishing this weekend at the menantico sand ponds. And I could not believe how bad the land had been destroyed by The Division of Fish and Game in order to keep out off road vehicles. There are chopped down trees, stumps, huge log jams and now big busted up cement slabs being placed all over the once beautiful land. The amount of signs nailed to the trees by fish and game and the nature conservancy is sickning. All in the name of preserving wildlife. New Jersey law maker only want money and will destroy every bit of land to keep out off road vehicles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :flame:

DaveRS575

Sponsoring Member
Aug 15, 2002
Thanks New kidd...I agree it's sickening. Especially here in NJ. IN the name of preserving wildlife you think? Certainly under that umbrella, but I think more sinister "reasoning" prevails here. It's a shame. I can kind of understand, when people take advantage of a beautiful place and throw garbage, carve their names in trees, paint grafitti, and dump their old refrigerators and vehicles in these locations, it makes it look bad for all of the "general public", and unfortunately, we are part of this "general public" so we have to take the punishment for their actions as well.. It really sucks in my opinion, but the only thing I can do about it is kick the crap out of anyone I see doing crap like that. I don't think that's unreasonable....do you? ;)

Trail Boss

Sponsoring Member
Jul 25, 2000
new kidd & DaveRS575
Any chance you could post a few pictures of the mess the officials made putting up the signs and cutting down trees?

I would think it might help in some way.

DaveRS575

Sponsoring Member
Aug 15, 2002
linusb... As far as I know, the penalty for operating an unregistered, unlicensed motor vehicle on non sanctioned land in NJ, can be pretty stiff if the officer wants to push it. (They will usually let you go with a slap on the wrist, but you never know...I've never had very good luck in that area) They can impound your vehicle, (That can get very $$) issue a criminal trespass ticket (Criminal Justice Code of New Jersey, Title 2C:18-3, Criminal Trespass) that carries with it a fine of no less than $100 and/or inprisonment (non-specific), I believe they can also take your drivers license if they claim you were riding on the road.... here in NJ anyway.

It's Bullsh&t if you ask me, it is sad but true.

If you really want to be pissed off... listen to this guy rant...

http://www.americanlands.org/forestweb/orv_updates.htm

Ugggg... some people!

new kidd

Dec 3, 2001
Yeah this tool and others like him don't understand that if there is no legal place to ride people will ride sensitive areas. I whole hartedly agree that a place like menantico sand ponds should be off limits to off road vehicles. I have seen the north end of the ponds disappear from the silt kicked up in the creek by 4 wheel drive trucks and atv's. I have lost some of my best fishing spots due to this type of damage. :whiner: The creek no longer flow properly and the main pond is becoming weed choked. Now on the same tract of land south of the the chain of ponds is a masive strech of land totally destroyed by sand mining. In no way shape or form can dirt bikes, atv's or 4 wheel drive do any more damage to this land. This piece of unused land is ten times the size of the sensitive land surounding the ponds and creeks. But with not one legal place to ride in cumbeland, cape may or atlantic county people ride where ever they hide out because it's all illegal. :| You can buy 'em and watch people on TV get called heros and champions. But if you live in south jersey you are a criminal. :think:

DaveRS575

Sponsoring Member
Aug 15, 2002
Trail Boss: I will be going down to "the Pit" this weekend, I will bring my camera and try and find some good shots. I didn't see so much of that as I did rubbish dumping though. Very sad...

Top Bottom