Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
hi, i was reinstalling my forks i just got rebuilt,,

when i got my forks and wheel on,, i tried my front brake,
and the button the brake level pushes in (i guess its the brake piston) wont come back out, and my brakes are locked up and my front wheel wont spin. how do i unlock my brakes and what's wrong with them? They worked fine before I took my forks off to be rebuilt.
89 yz 125
thanks...

OKKX'er

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 10, 2001
Get set up as if you were bleeding your brakes, slide a screwdriver inbetween the pads and the disc, then gently crack the bleeder open.

Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
i undid some screws holding on my caliper and undid my brake pins,, i was able to slide the caliper out enough to try prying pads apart, but no luck,,

could it be the spring on my piston at the master cylinder?

also,, how do you get the brake to bleed out the fluid? I saw where i can hook a hose to it,, but how to you make the fluid come out?

JAMRACING

Apr 21, 2000
Actually, it sounds like your piston seal/piston is gunked up. When brake fluid breaks down, it crystalizes, and when you add the dirt and grime that collects over the years, it means it's time to pull the caliper apart, and rebuild it. This usually means that you need to replace the piston seal, clean the caliper, and depending on the piston condition, clean it or replace it. Any shop manual will walk you through it.

Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
i think i fixed it,, it seems that the little spring that keeps my brake lever popped out was jammed against the brake piston,,
I took off my lever, and had to pull out the spring with plyers, and then my pistion popped out pretty easy when i pulled it a little with my plyers.
i hope i didnt tear the rubber aruodn that piston though when i pulled on it.

cleaning my piston was the next thing i was gonna try..
thanks for all the help guys...this really had me worried...

Top Bottom