mark76

May 5, 2002
In the last few weeks i've spoken to two riders with gas gas enduro bikes and have both suffered from gearbox failures.
Both bikes wee 2002 models, a 400 FSE and the 250 ec, the 250 is on its second gearbox re-build.
Has anyone else had these experiences with their gas gas? the reason why i ask is that i'm pretty much ready to buy a 200, but i can't help but feel unsure about handing over my money when two riders in my area have had problems with their bikes.
Shame, because they rave about the ride but are pretty peeved about the reliability.
any comments appreciated.

Shawn1

Jul 4, 2001
2 years on my 01 xc200 and not any problems at all. Change oil often, I change oil every 100 miles using spectro 80w. I'm so happy with this bike I am going to buy another new one next year.

cetris

May 8, 2001
I was in the same boat awhile ago- like the bikes but I read enough stories of crank bearing failures that it scared me off. Quite possibly just a fluke thing on a very small percentage of machines, but it has scard me off for now. I think I will sit back and wait awhile and see how the '03's look.

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
My '98 EC250 has never experienced either a transmission or a crank bearing failure and I don't baby the thing either. Currently using 50/50, 10w-30/Type F ATF in the transmission and Mobil MX2t in the pre-mix.

I think Lemming had both, with a tranny failure on his '99 EC200 and a bearing failure on his '00 MC250. Maybe I've just been lucky, or maybe it has something to do with the counterbalancer on the pre-'99 models. Then again I could be riding around on a time-bomb. In any case it's definitely the best bike I've ever owned and wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

Lemming

Looking for single women!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 19, 2000
I lost 2nd gear on my '99EC200 and when it broke it took the shift dogs and a few other misc items with it. Then I purchased a used '00MC250 and the left main bearing seized while in the air doing a double.

'99EC200 - this bike has and will continue to be well maintained. Since purchasing the bike new in the fall of 2000, I have changed the oil after every ride (ATF type F and my rides are what most consider a tough enduro; 50 miles of Clanton single track just about every Sunday that there is not a SERA enduro). So far the gear is the only significant problem that I've had on this wonderful bike :thumb:

'00MC250 - This bike was purchased used and I know that it was used hard the year before by a top 30+ MX racer. I'm pretty sure that he maintained the bike well. Just prior to the seizure, I did hear a slight squealing noise but everyone I asked said they "didn't hear it". I was running Amsoil 2000 at 40:1 and have gone to 32:1 for added insurance.

Even with these two problems I'm still high on GasGas bikes. For me the ergos and power are just right and my next bike will likely be a GG. Whose to say that I wouldn't have similar problems on a different brand?

kadman

Mar 14, 2000
My buddy has an 200 that locked up on him a few months back. He fixed it himself and his dealer gave him the parts. He said something about a clip breaking and a gear coming loose???

CPT Jack

~SPONSOR~
Jun 27, 2000
Mine got stuck in gear the 2nd time I rode it. The shift fork had a burr on it. Polished it off & it was fixed. 5 min job. I think it's not uncommon. No issues since. Absolutely Love the bike.

CPT Jack

~SPONSOR~
Jun 27, 2000
Mine got stuck in gear the 2nd time I rode it. The shift fork had a burr on it. Polished it off & it was fixed. 5 min job. I think it's not uncommon. No issues since. Absolutely Love the bike.

P.S. They require a thin lubricant due to tight tolerances. Factory recommends full synthetic.

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
I've got 2 years on my XC/EC 300 without any problems, well maintained but not babied.

euro gasgas

Sponsoring Member
Sep 18, 2001
The tolerances are tight in the gasgas tranny. The previous distributor recommended 80W spectro, but the factory recommends 10W30. 80W gear oil is closer to a 20W motor oil -> so I think it is a bit too thick. There is a great oil writeup done by eric kangas on the smackover motorsports website. I think his top picks are 10w40 castrol mtx and an amsoil synthetic motorcycle oil that is a 0W30(??) check out...

http://www.smackovermotorsports.com/html/articles.htm

BTW, I have run atf and then switched to the castrol mtx 10W40 and noticed improved clutch action after a little time on her (time for the clutch additives to soak into the plates?). No problems here...

The other issue that has come up is that some guys are using the sight glass to fill their tranny's - this is there to show that you have some oil in their and it's general condition. Use a full liter in the gearbox and do not use the sight glass as a guide for quantity of oil required.

jeff
'01 gasgas ec300
www.gasgasrider.org GasGas Rider's Club
www.lt-racing.com GasGas Performance Products and Services

Girlrider

Sep 1, 2000
I have a 2001 250 and a 2000 200 and have not had any gear problems. I rode a 2002 250 at last years ISDE with no break in time (Brand new bike when I started the event) and had no problems with it. Changed the oil on day 3 but no other times.

EK

Dec 3, 2000
I have spent quite a few hours thrashing my '01 XC300 with no gearbox failures. I have spent quite a bit of effort looking for the best transmission oil as mentioned by euro gasgas. AmsOil SAE 0W-40 Formula 4-Stroke Synthetic Motor Oil is by far the best for clutch performance.

If you want a very experienced perspective of GasGas trasnsmission reliability call Jim Cook at smackovermotorsports.com.

Eric K
'01 GasGas 300XC
'00 Sherco 290

Top Bottom