Gearbox oil quantity on 01 CR250?

BooBoo

Dec 28, 2004
I got my bike with no owners manual and while changing the oil, I saw it said 850cc on the right crankcase cover. This usually is the amount I would go by but I had the oil level bolt out to see when it started coming out and it was around 600 cc's when oil started coming out of the oil level hole. The bike was level and the oil drain plug had been out for about 20 minutes so all the oil was out. What do you guys put in yours?

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
i normally throw a full quart in mine of atf type f and have no problems. A quart will be fine

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
I think it only needs 23-24 ounces or 650-700ccs. I don't bother with the oil check bolt anymore so it may run out before 650ccs. I think 850 is the full capacity of the transmission but I don't think you'd ever want it completely full.

sick, does it ever blow ATF out the overflow hose with a full quart in it?

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
You're supposed to run the engine before you pull the check bolt. That makes sure the oil is distributed throughout the gearbox area. If you don't, it will run out before you put the full amount in it.

The 850cc amount sounds about right to me. I don't have the manual in front of me, but it takes nearly a quart to fill it. I've also heard that overfilling it slightly in't a problem.

Burtonridr250

Dec 11, 2004
I don't know about CR's, but my YZ250 takes .77 liter. I pour about .85 in though, since im ruff on clutches.

So basically, just pour about a little more than 3/4 of the quart in and you will be ok, just make sure its a 1 liter bottle.

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
nope never had any problems with it coming out the overflow. Everyone i ride with does the same this. A quart isn't that much more than recommended so its ok. If you were to throw a quart and a half in there then there would prob be a problem but 1 quart has always been fine for me.

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
That is why I don't bother with the bolt, because a little too much doesn't matter. But a full qt (or litre) is about 30-40% more than necessary.

I have the 02 manual in front of me and it says 22.4 ozs or 650ccs. I am pretty sure the 00/01 is almost exactly the same (but I don't have that book in front of me) and I always use 24ozs for all of them. If anything, I am spending 25% less than the full quart guys to change oil.

The recommended quantity of oil for the 02 is 750ccs after complete disassembly.

I can verify the 01 numbers tonite.

BooBoo

Dec 28, 2004
I don't usually mess with the oil bolt but I was curious as to how much goes in before it starts to come out. The first ride I had on it I put 850cc in it with no overflow problems but seeing it piss out at 600cc got me thinkin' a bit....

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
Yuup, I made a mistake, it is 25.5 ozs or 750ml like BBdotcom said. My fill bottle is marked at 26 ozs (not 24) and that is what I use for all 3. No more "off the top of my head" answers

kuritaro9

Nov 7, 2004
BooBoo said:
I don't usually mess with the oil bolt but I was curious as to how much goes in before it starts to come out. The first ride I had on it I put 850cc in it with no overflow problems but seeing it piss out at 600cc got me thinkin' a bit....

hey,did the jetting specs help out?i usually measure out 850cc when i change mine.whenever i split the cases,there is always a little old oil left,so it all may not come out when you drain it.i have never taken my side drain bolt out.(too easy to strip out) i think if you just measure out 850cc,you should be fine.i have never had any issues with blowing it out the vent(unlees you count when i blew a right side crank seal) :yikes:
i also warm up the bike before i drain it out. :cool:

BooBoo

Dec 28, 2004
Thanks for all the great info. I always like to know what the manual says then go from there.

How many of you guys use ATF fluid in your tranny? I know some guys use it in there tranny's on the CRF's but I hadn't thought about using it on the CR250.

Kuritaro, I haven't ridden the bike since I did the jetting changes. I'm going on Saturday to CycleRanch in San Antonio (your old boot camp stompin' grounds) so I should have a pretty good idea then. Temps are forecasted to be mid 60's for a high so I think I should be in the ball park with the 180 mj and 42 pj. How much of a difference does the 1368 needle make over the 1370? Is it leaner or richer? I'm not very well versed with needle info.

Pat

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
A lot of people use ATF type F from this site it seems. i always used gear saver till i started seeing people on here recommend it and i will never change back. Its cheap and i think its worked better than all that expensive stuff. But thats just me.

kuritaro9

Nov 7, 2004
BooBoo said:
Thanks for all the great info. I always like to know what the manual says then go from there.

How much of a difference does the 1368 needle make over the 1370? Is it leaner or richer? I'm not very well versed with needle info.

Pat

im not positive,i hope someone else will help with this if im wrong...but,i think the 1370 is leaner than a 1368.a buddy of mine explained it to me once,but i was like a deer caught in the headlights.i think the 1st 2 numbers are the taper ex.13=1.3 and the 2nd 2 numbers are the needle diameter.im still learning all the ins and outs of jetting.fire me back an email and let me know how everything goes...we just got another foot of snow,so it looks like a road trip is in order for the long weekend... :aj:

Last edited:

Lissa

"Am I lost again?"
Apr 28, 2002
I've used many different brands and weights of oils in my bikes gear boxes over the years and have settled on using Type F ATF (for those who don't know the 'other' non-Type F stuff is bad for your bike; Mecron-Dexron, GM stuff, etc.). Type F ATF is not for everyone though. My bike has a gear case oil change every race or every 75-90 miles. Type F is good for someone who is constantly changing their oil. It's very light and offers a much nicer shift feel then any of the heavier lubes I've used. The trade off seems to be that it contaminates and/or breaks-down quicker then the other lubes I've used requiring more frequent changes.

Top Bottom