boardadikt

May 20, 2003
I was wondering what happens when you go up and down teeth on a rear sprocket--and how many teeth to get a significant change. I am going to replace my rear sprocket and thought maybe I should try something different than stock settings this time. I ride a 01 yz250 that has a 50tooth rear, I ride mostly supercross and alot of motocross. Top speed isn't all that important since I ride our track in 2nd gear pretty much the whole circuit. (I do know that adding teeth adds more low and takes away from top speed--but what else?)

Thanks

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
With a larger rear sprocket, you're going to get faster acceleration, but like you said, top out quicker and at a lower speed in each gear. Therefore if you went up like 2 teeth to a 52, you might find yourself having to ride in 3rd gear a lot more than you do now to get the same feel as your current 2nd gear. Although your new 2nd gear will feel more like a gear in between your current 1st and 2nd gear. Hope that makes sense.

atc3434`

~SPONSOR~
Nov 1, 2001
Bascially, with gearing changes, you alter where your gears fall at certian speeds. Like Nikki said, you'll hit the track and find your pull different gears in different spots. It can work for you or against you, it really depends on your track conditions.

Top Bottom