Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Bike-builder dies after crash
Updated: 8/30/2004 2:03 PM
By: Associated Press

CONCORD, N.C. - A custom motorcycle builder known for his appearances on cable's Discovery Channel died Monday after crashing during a weekend stunt at an arena in Cabarrus County.

"Indian Larry" was appearing at a three-day motorcycle event at the Cabarrus Arena and Events Center, the Liquid Steel Classic and Custom Bike Series.

A crowd of about 8,000 was watching him perform a stunt Saturday in which he stood on the seat of a moving motorcycle, when the bike began to wobble and he was unable to regain control of it, said Mike Downs, the county's deputy manager.

County officials said Indian Larry will be missed.

"Cabarrus County along with the staff at the Cabarrus Arena and Events Center sends its sincere condolences to the family of Indian Larry," said Robert Freeman, chairman of the Cabarrus County Board of Commissioners. "Indian Larry was a man with great skill and talent as a mechanic and metal sculptor. He will be truly missed by his fans here in Cabarrus County and throughout the nation."

Indian Larry, who has appeared in movies and television shows, was featured on the Discovery Channel's Biker Build-Off series, in which well-known motorcycle builders design and build bikes from scratch, then have them judged by motorcycle aficionados.

Copyright 2004 Associated Press,

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Wow, bad news, talented guy.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Okiewan said:
Wow, bad news, talented guy.

Yep, it's really a shame to see the cool motorcycle guys go. :ugg:

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
y'know, it's a tired epitaph, but "at least he went out doing what he liked to do"

time to run the big "?"

Dennis Meyers

~SPONSOR~
Nov 24, 2000
Damn, that's terrible. :( Not many guys around like him. He will definitly be missed. That was just down the road a piece, I don't even remember hearing the show advertised.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
RIP Larry..
I bet he's layin back on his bike doin about 90 right about know :ride:

Rick

C

CaNaDiAn,Eh?

That is really to bad, he was one of the few 'real' bike builders out there. That guy was awesome, and very talented.

Speeed

Proud American
Jul 4, 2004
CaNaDiAn said:
That is really to bad, he was one of the few 'real' bike builders out there. That guy was awesome, and very talented.

took the words off my keyboard

OldassKDX

Nov 9, 2000
Y'know what I liked about his bikes? He had a passion for the "mechanicalness" of bikes, their gadgets and moving parts. Most bike builders build these long, wavy looking sculpted designs, but it seemed like Larry understood the beauty of the gizmos inside them that make motorcycles real works of art.

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
:| Never like to hear that stuff.

Godspeed Larry.

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
Indian Larry is above and beyond my favorite builder. He put his passion into every machine he touched. Strong spirited and care free with skills that would make your jaw drop in sheer amazement. I wish I could have met him in person. He will be missed dearly, but hopefully his friends will continue to pass along his teachings.

RIP Indian Larry. Hopefully they put him in the house with Big Daddy Roth and Von Dutch.

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
He liked spoked wheels, real bikes gotta have spokes.

Godspeed Indian Larry...

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
I got an email this morning about this. What a bummer! I hated to hear this. He was one of the last 'old school' builders. RIP

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
My son and I will truly miss his art and his personality, Indian Larry's bike really inspired BrandonWho to take an interest in mechanical things and welding. Indian Larry was a true bike builder not a hack that stuck parts together.

In God we trust.
Vengeance is mine
Sayeth the Lord
No Fear

:(

Attachments

• indianxl_8g.jpg
    indianxl_8g.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 94

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
gotta like the way he hacked up his bike builder trophy and shared it with the other builders.

I don't think Larry ever wore a helmet ... :(

DoubleTrouble

May 26, 2000
Yes, I remember when he won the 'biker build-off' on Discovery channel. He cut up the trophy into a dozen pieces and threw them into the crowd saying something like "building bikes makes us all winners". He was a class act.

http://shopping.discovery.com/store...d=-1&productId=56194&rel_productId=56131#desc

Beating out the likes of Paul Yafee: http://www.paulyaffeoriginals.com/ , Billy Lane: http://www.choppersinc.com/ and Roger Bourget: http://www.bourgets.com/pages/news_01.html.

He was quite a character: http://www.indianlarry.com/

R.I.P. "Indian Larry".

"a guy that would extend a helping hand to his competition and share a trophy when he didn't have to has more class than a three piece suit." BMWconfused, f60.com

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Billy Lane has a classy tribute to Indian Larry on his Choppers Inc. site. Too bad he's the only big time builder to do so by now.

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
Larry and Billy were best friends. I'm not surprised he was the first, although, I am surprised he's the only one.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom