Status
Not open for further replies.

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
We could not have had a better day to ride than today, weather was perfect, dirt was great, I don't know how many miles I did, but I enjoyed everyone of them.

Thanks again

Looking forward to Millers Creek

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
A big thanks to Greg (PhastPhart) for putting on that ride and guiding us all the way, cept when I passed him. NEVER PASS THE LEADER! The old age trechary thing came to light just after I passed that mighty KTM520. Corners come quick at 70mph in the sand!!! After I straightened the corner, I gladly pulled in behind PhastPhart and passed no more.

The day started off early, I met Chris, 2strok4fun at the local Carl's and we downed some grub prior to the trip out. It was great to hear that Chris had recently ridden with Placelast, a friend we all miss to have around for the rides. Gotta love those dried figs and health stuff he brings. Anyway, headed out for the 100 mile journey, hit some great rain on the way out, no problem.

We get to the staging area and joined the rest of the guys, RMJeff, Pvt Joker, JPIVEY, Tony Williams and his son AJ, a couple of friends of 2strok4fun, Oldandslo, PhastPhart and yzandrew. It was to be my first ride on the WR, a little nervous but anxious as well. I unloaded it and played around the nearby sand hills and flats to try this 4 stroker thingy out. I have to say that the suspension soaked up all the whoops and bumps and the power was outstanding. I had to keep from revving up the motor like I usually do on the RM, took some getting used to but I just grabbed another gear and off I went. I climbed the hills from the bottom at a ddead stop, no problem. This 4 stroke might just grow on me.

We took off on our quest with Phast Phart leading the way. A little ways into it, Oldandslo had a get off over a drop off, bummer. He was shook up but continued for a bit but found out that the XR was leaking fuel. He turned back and couldn't finish the ride. The next to drop off was 2strok4fun's friend on an old CR, took a crap, no starty anymore. Him and his friend on an old KX worked their way back to the truck as well. We ended up with nine and continued the ride. Over hill and dale, under freeways and over waterfalls. Great scenery, great terrain and even better on my WR. Not one problem other than when Chris and I let some air outta our tires to help in the sand but found out later we shouldn't have cause of all the rocks!

I took a wash out spill on a corner in the sand and Chris took a digger over, through or around his bars into the sand as well, wish I could have seen that though! :flame: The ride was mixed between washes, some single track stuff and some flat out curvey speed stuff. All in all, 52 miles give or take were traversed with not one glitch from the WR. Everyone elses bikes handled and ran great as far as I saw and I did get some complaints about the roost behind my WR.:) My chest had red spots all over from Chris and yzandrew too so I got mine as well!;) I think Joker took a digger too but unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to see it. :(

A big thanks to Greg for putting on the ride and showing us his backyard. We need to get together again for the Miller Canyon ride, 3's a charm for me. Good seeing everyone again and hope to do it again soon.

Wondering what the RM's gonna say when I tell her she might be sold to get a CRF450!? :scream:

Elk

Pvt Joker

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 29, 2002
Thanks from me as well to PhastPhart for a fun ride. :thumb:

I did try and plant my bike in the sand. Fortunately I wasn't successful and got to keep riding it. Did shear off a bolt on a rock though.

A fun day and great conditions. :yeehaw:

YZandrew

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2001
Thanks Greg! Great ride, great conditions. The sand had me flying all over the place! Sorry to the guys that had to ride behind me, I was just mowing 'em down with the rocks. And of course there was the near-death crash that I narrowly avoided on the way back. I wish I could have seen what that looked like, it shook me up for a minute.

JPIVEY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
I got to check out my rear wheel and no damage, but I will have it trued anyhow, pretty lucky, I don't know how many mile I rode with the flat , but I know it happened before the break at the halfway point, first flat in 2 yrs :thumb:

also ordered a IMS tank 3. something gallons, so no more worries about running out, ( to bad theres a waiting list )

oh yeah, I got the last cautus needle out this morning, had to use needle nose pliers :whiner:

Last edited:

Unit74

Dec 16, 2001
Jim-

I just got picked up by IMS and can get those tanks for cheap. Lemme know what you want to do and maybe I can save ya some cash. Pegs, rods quick fills too!!

Call me ;)

JPIVEY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
I knew it, I knew it, I knew it, when the hell I'm I going to learn............

I'll get in touch with ya.

PhastPhart

Dec 15, 2000
Thanks for coming out. I couldn't imagine a better day for riding. We wait years to get a day like yesterday. Sorry the three guys had to drop out but the group was fun and fast. The kid on the 125 was good!

Catch ya on the next one.

Tony Williams

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2000
PhastPhart Greg, thanks for leading us on a great ride. 12 riders were greeted to epic riding conditions; moist desert, no wind, perfect temperature, great riding buddies, and no broken bones. :worship:

My 14 year old son and I showed up just a tad after 9am, but we weren't sure we'd make at all. A number of small issues early in the morning had left me behind schedule. I left a very rainy San Diego at 7am with 147 miles to go, so simple math says that I had to exceed the trailer pulling 55mph that I had just gotten a ticket for. So, I bravely traveled in the illegal trailer towing #1 lane (in protest) as I toured done the freeways at breakneck speeds.

We all were on the trail by about 9:30am. I was drooling over all the orange bikes, with magic buttons and side stands, as our YZ's have neither. Just a few short miles into the ride, Oldandslo did a get-off over a 10 foot stepdown (right in front of me). The bike had pinned his left leg, so another rider and myself picked up the bike, and I proceeded to push his XR400 to a nearby bush to hold it upright. It was suggested I use the sidestand... Oh, yah, even red bikes have those things! :confused:

Oldandslo called it quits for the day, and 11 of us motored on. After another mile or two, I pulled over to wait for my son, but he never showed. So, I reversed course to find him, which, of course, was impossible, because he was in front of me the entire time. Getting back to the last checkpoint, Oldandslo was back on his bike, and decided to continue on with me. I finally caught up to the group, but no YZ125. I started to get that uneasy feeling that my son was lost (more acute that normal, considering I did lose him last year at Glamis). It turns out he was there, riding around, just waiting for me to show up.

At this stop, one Honda just quit (and never restarted, being towed back to base), and I noticed that Oldandslo's Honda was now pouring gas out of the overflow. He said it wasn't running right, so he went back to base finally.

6 KTM's and 3 Yamaha's completed the 50-ish mile trek. It took me about 1/3 of the trip to get my sea-legs in the sand. There were 18 pounds of air in the tires, but I still hit rocks hard enough to kiss the rim. I had an old fashioned air pump (well, I had CO2 also), which several took advantage of at about the half way point. I emptied the 2 quart crossbar mounted fuel container into my son's 125, since we had gone about 35 miles. I figured that might get him back.

The last 1/3 of the trip was high speed trail, but my geared down motocross bike didn't have a chance at "hanging". Then I stalled it at the bottom of a dry creek bed, loosing site of the group. When I got back to the truck, I was the first one there (besides the 3 that didn't complete the loop). OK, so now I'm thinking that if my son ran out of gas at the back of the pack, I'd have a heck of a time finding him, since I had clearly taken a different route back.

I rode back a few miles to a high point, and saw the group go by about a mile south of me. I was the last one to finally return to base.

I believe there were only 3 get-offs in the entire trip. I layed my bike over twice, both less than 2mph events, once while turning around at a locked gate in the trail. We were done riding about 1pm-ish.

I don't do alot of trail riding, but this trip has got me thinking about an electric start trail bike (that I can put plates on).

Thanks again, Greg, and thanks to all for being great riding partners.

2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002
Thanx PhastPhart for the private tour :thumb:

It was great to meet more DRN'rs, and I had a blast riding with the group. I havent been into the desert since abour last march, so the familiar smell of wet desert was sweet. Too bad Jose and Danny missed most of the ride (the cost of old equipement) I am sure they would have enjoyed it. On previous rides I was always amazed at how fast they could be on vintage material.

The trail was a fun mix of deep but mois sand, single track and high speed sweepers. With all the sand and low elevation I am glad I swapped needles to fatten up the mid and top end, the 250 needed it attempting to keep up with the fast guys on the big thumps. I enjoyed trading roost with the elk, but I think the elk enjoyed handing out a little more as he often looked back after a fast corner exit. I think I could see him smiling through his helmet. :) I was also amazed at the roost that the 125 was handing out as well, the boy can ride.

I had what was probably a spectacular to see get-off after dinking a rock and high siding. A few tumbles by me and my bike, with the only casulty being a little precious water from the camel back, the tip still in sight about ten feet away.

A great ride, no major injuries, good fun.

Hope to do it again soon.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Great reports everyone. :thumb:

Wish I could have been there Gregg. Thanks for organizing this for the Crew. :worship:

Elk. Glad you enjoyed the WR. I'm really glad to see someone get it that could appreciate it.

Ol'

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
Originally posted by Ol'89r
Elk. Glad you enjoyed the WR. I'm really glad to see someone get it that could appreciate it.&nbsp;

If you can get him to appreciate the fact that all that yellow gear makes him look like a big dumb banana riding a WR, I'm sure all people who ride with the fruit would be most thankful.&nbsp;&nbsp; But.... I suppose&nbsp;the obnoxious yellow&nbsp;does make it easier to spot the fool when he get's lost. ;)&nbsp;

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Can you feel the love?!

Great group to ride with, cept for JPIVEY of course.;):) Who's up for the next one, track, Miller Canyon, you name it.;)

JPIVEY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Originally posted by a454elk

Great group to ride with, cept for JPIVEY of course

?????? what's up with that, I stayed out of the way, :) and I didn't have any stink'n stickers :laugh:

2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002
elk-

I have a "granite" connection in your area.

let me know

oldandslo

Aug 29, 2001
This is one ride I wished that I had missed. I am still limping along. Takes longer to heal when your old.

The bike finally stopped flooding when I headed back with Jose and Danny??
I think thats there names. I just had to get off and kick with my left leg.

135 miles one way to ride 8 miles. I need to learn to ride better.

Those big KTM's sure seemed popular in the desert.

See ya next time.

oldandslo

Aug 29, 2001
Yes I made it out all right. Thanks to Jeff and Tony. I think it was you two who lifted the bike off me. Talk about a helpless feeling. My right leg was pinned and no matter how much I squirmed, all I accomplished was hurting my knee more. If I was by myself I would be coyote bait!

Thanks to Danny for helping me load the bike.

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
I really have to give you guys credit for riding with a Sally like this...... :p

I bet that outfit really clashes with... well... pretty much ANY bike!&nbsp; He stands like a girl and must surely ride like one! :moon:

Attachments

• pcarlo.jpg
    pcarlo.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 175

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
Ah... the bike that matches the outfit. :scream:

Attachments

• pbike.jpg
    pbike.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 155

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
Carlo-
Say it ain't so. How could you faggotize a perfectly good Yamaha like that? OMG! I guess I don't need to put any girlie stickers on this bike, now do I?

-jeffd

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Dang Carlo.

If I woulda known you were going to paint it the same color as your riding suit, I'da never sold it to ya. :eek: :scream: :) :laugh: :laugh:

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Well well, what do we have here, a couple of Texas twits sneaking into our clubhouse. 89er, that's your job to keep the riff raff out and you have failed us.:| Just cause I dress like that and my bike looks like that, doesn't mean a thing, it's what's below the surface that counts.;) It'll look that much better when the two Texas twits get beat by someone looking like that, what better a punishment for those two. :p:moon:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom