High Sider

Feb 25, 2006
Hey folks,

A little feedback if you please. My son who is 11 years old, 95lbs and 4'8" may need another bike. This will be his 3rd this year so I want to make this one stick. When he was 7 he started on a xr50 then went to a TTr125 (for sale by the way) that was light on power and a little too tall for him early this year (April) and now is pushing the rev limits of a KX65. He has started racing mainly harescrambles and rides mx and off road at our off road vehicle park. Now that he is used to the kx65/2 stroke powerband he said he never wants to go back to 4 stroke again! I tried to explain that not all 4 strokes dogged it like the TTR but I want to get him a bike he will enjoy. Heres the deal when I got him the kx he was shorter and about 20lbs lighter. After a brief growth spurt he is starting to look a little to bike for the bike and you can see when he rides it he is looking for more. In the sand the little tires make it difficult for him as well. Here is what I was thinking and please give me your feedback. I have an opportunity on a KTM105 '04 that is basically almost in new condition with very little use. Second I was thinking an 85 either a KTM or a Kawasaki. I had him on the new CRF150R today and he didn't like the weight of the bike compared to the others. The KTM 105 is only 4lbs. heavier than his kx65! I guess the secrets out that I am leaning toward the 105. Does the 105 meet the criteria to enable him to race in the 85 class or push him into the 125 class? Any help would be much appreciated. This bike has got to last him at least the end of this year and all of next year. FruDaddy you out there?!?!? :bang:

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
The 105 would actually land you in the Supermini class for MX, I don't know about harescrambles. An 85 would be a more natural progression. An advantage of the green 85 is that the parts to upgrade to KX100 specs are available (although probably expensive). I do no know the KTM line well enough to comment on its upgradeability. My current intent is to move my boy to the KX85 in 2-3 years, depspite the fact that I think it's an ugly bike.
At his age, what bike does he want? Good for him for shunning the 150, and noticing the weight. If you can get him a little riding time on that 105 before commiting to any choice, you might be surpised by the result. My son thought he wanted a KTM 65 a 1.5 years ago after riding a mod bike in a field. Fortunately for my wallet and gas tank, he was allowed to ride a friends stocker on an MX track and didn't like the hydraulic clutch. He chose to stick with Kawi.

nospeed

Jun 27, 2006
Frudaddy is right, a 105 would put him in a Supermini class. If your son wants to compete you really have no choice but to go with an 85. My experience has been with a Suzuki RM85 but the fact is that they are all good so I would base my decision on local dealer support.

High Sider

Feb 25, 2006
pulled the trigger

I came across a deal for a 2006 KTM85sx brand new that will be delivered to my house in factory crate for $3,185.00! The shipping was $92.00 from Michigan to NJ. A dealer was blowing out their 06's to make room for the 07's and I lucked out. I was at another dealer where I put the 105 and the 85 side by side and there must be some serious errors on the KTM website and their brochures. There is a claimed seat height of 35.4 inches for both bikes but the 105 is way higher seat, bars and really is a stunted 125. For my boy I figured the 85 gave him pleanty of time to ride it (at least a year) and he will have more applications with the 85. If he were just doing mx then maybe the 105 would have at least stood a chance but with him doing harescrambles as well and having to paddle from time to time the 85 was the only choice. Plus the price of the one I found made the bike perfect! He is real excited about getting it and I think this is the bike he wanted all along too! Thanks for the help gang! :) :)

Nov 25, 2009
i had a kx 65 i got to big for it and i figured that out the hard way breaking my back.. and while i was getting better we got a kx 85 (i still have it) and i outgrew the stock small wheeled kx 85 over the winter so we got big wheels for it and it still works i think its been over two years later

hope this helps and have fun

Joe18

Nov 24, 2009
I rode a KX85 when I was that age, it was my second bike. I rode it on alot of, well everything. It wasnt really set up for anything but MX which I did some of but I rode alot of trails, beaches too. As far as power to weight ratio, I rode it until I was about 5"2 110 lbs and it still had more than enough power on tracks. I dont know much about hare scrambles, but if hes riding a 65 in races and he can move the 85 around well then I dont see why not. Good Luck

Top Bottom