woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
I am sorry you guys but I AM an ADDICT you know!! Please post all the GORY details again like you all did with the Moose :thumb:
E.T., the spot light is on you for another great report on your Dad!
Everyone who can, PLEASE chime in and lets hear about acts of heroism, bike problems and repairs, weather conditions, bench racing stories (fibs are legal for bench racing and can be forwarded here), WIPE OUTS, time keeping stories ect. ect. ect..
Spare no expense and PLEASE tell it alllllll :aj:
By the way, pics are worth a thousand words!
At your mercy...
Woodsy

Last edited:

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Results

1 Mike Lafferty 43
2 Barry Hawk 46:1691
3 Fred Hoess 46:1722
4 David Lykke 47:1724
5 Randy Hawkins 47:1740
6 Steve Hatch 48:1721
7 Robbie Jenks 48:1740
8 John Barber 48:1842
9 Josh? McLevy 49:1736
10 Leonard Keen 49:1817

Napper rode real well and got 5th Vet B
Maurer also rode well and got 4th or 5th Open B
I sucked today and got 15th Sen B :uh:
Sparkey finished his first enduro and this was a tough one! :cool:
Tom Dixon got 8th in 250 B
Loctite got 3rd Sen B
Don Marsh got 18th Sen B
Magoo rode well but got a DNF

It was hot and super dusty, the trails were tight and the speed avarage was 30 MPH.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
My man FREDT :cool:
He always comes thru in a crunch -thanks Freddy!
WOW, great group of competitors there! You folks make me proud to be part of the clan!!
By the way Freddy - you didnt suck - there was plenty of GREAT competition and sometimes things happen, take it from a man who knows - just to be able to RIDE WITH THE GUYS defines a "NON - SUCK WORTHY day" :aj:
Cant wait to here more, more, MORE :)
Thanks for the beginning report and CONGRATS to all!!
Woodsy

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
The enduro was officially over at 4:02. At 6:15 only 4 of the 9 in the Masters class had been posted. It was time to head for home. All I know now is that I wasn't last or the top 5. It is an enduro that seperates the men from the boys. For his first one, Sparkey did very well after having gone off the trail in a bad spot. I'm back home in one piece and ready to give that beggar more that he asks for.
Young Ted

Magoo

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 1999
Heh. I was having a pretty good time, when on the first bit of road after the first (long) section, I noticed when I gassed it the bike just revved. UhOh. That's not good. At the first gas I checked to make sure I had tranny oil (you never know...) and that was good. Most of my free time was spent laughing at nzambon giving bbarel a hard time about his forgetting to bring a gas can. Leaving the gas I noticed that 4th thru 6th gears were pretty much useless... oh well, most of the trail was pretty tight 2nd and 3rd gear stuff. Should be OK.
Getting to 2nd gas, now 3rd thru 6th are useless, and 1st and second are slipping. A quick trailside oil change at second gas, and I was off. Maybe I can nurse it thru! But, things deteriorated from there. I was just crawling along on the trail hitting all those bumps, being a general obstacle, and getting roosted by the AA guys whizzing by me. At the OB check at 137 miles, I bailed out. Riding the roads home, I wondered if I would even make it -- 15 mph down the hills, 5 mph up the hills -- even first gear wasn't working.
As it was, I was keeping up with Loctite pretty well (only a few points behind him thru the checks I did make), so I felt I was having a good day. Bummed I didn't finish, but happy I had so much fun! It was fun trail, and I was riding pretty good, so a great day regardless! :cool:
Saw lots of MTRs there (and, of course Team PTP!). Congrats to all of you on a good race!

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Family commitments precluded me from riding this event, but the Smit-Dog clan stopped by the pits afterwards to congratulate the victors and assess the carnage. Saw Napper after the race, and he looked fresh enough to ride the course again. Unless Fred T bleeds orange, he didn't spew any blood this time.... but Young Ted did. His left elbow was beginning to show more colors than a Pride parade. And Sparky had that accomplished glow of just having scored with the homecoming queen. Ya, he'll be back... Bwaahahahahahahaha!

I didn't see Magoo, but heard (spread?) a rumor he was out stuck at the top of a sandy drop-off, waiting for someone to help him slide his bike down. No, it wasn't a mental thing - it was a "bikey-no-workie" thing!

And if there's a particular fastener adhesive company looking to sponsor an A-Senior rider next year, they better take notice of certain WR rider from Cadillac.

All in all it looked like the MTR'ers had a ball riding this event. Sorry I missed it!

Superbike373

Apr 11, 2004
What a grin! I got barb wired bad in the first section. Got my rear brake line good but somehow it did not pop open. I ended up flating in the third section but it rode good (stayed on the bead) until the last three sections. I had to cool it a bit but still made good enough time to pull in behind napper (lucky I even finished). I had one of the best times I have ever had on a dirtbike. My riding buddy won senior C! It was his 3rd enduro. I got to meet a few more guys from here. I had a great time and you guys made it even more fun. RIDE ON! ----Mike

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
I had a great time! This format is great when you are riding with your buddies. At the beginning of each section, we were able to talk and start the sections together. We had Josh McLevy on our minute. At the start of the second section, he asked if all of the enduro guys from Michigan were friendly...of course we are!!
Napper set the pace in the first two sections. He and I had the same score, but he was ahead by 32 seconds. I finished the second section right on his a$$. We hooted and hollered as we left the check and were slapping five while going down the road. Great fun!
The noise never quit. As we started each section, we were revving the engines and yelling. I had one lady come up to me before the trophy presentation. She had worked on two checks, heard my voice and said you were 35C, I remember you. Me and my loud mouth!!
Congratulations to all you finished this long, tough event!!!

Special kuods to Team PTP trainee - Sparkey!! The scorecard may have said that he houred out at the 10th check, but he continued to ride all 90 miles. Great job buddy!! Most people would have quit after the problems you had in the first section, but a true enduro rider finishes the event!

bbarel

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 13, 2003
Had a great time. Fun ride. I was on minute 11. I started out riding pretty slow in the first loop. There was one small steep sandy hill in the gravel pit section I didn't make it up. I had to roll it back down and I went around instead. Yup at 1st gas I had to beg Nick Zambon for some gas. Nick gave me some gas, but not without having some fun with me first. Thanks Nick! I started to pick it up a some on the 2nd loop. I screwed up and got off the trail right before the end of a section and a check. I rode around for a couple minutes before I figured out what I did and had to go back, get on the trail and then get checked out. I got stuck once in a rut/hole with a root going across it because I did not see the root, oh well. I had one good get-off later in the day when I was getting tired and bounced off a small log I didn't see, but the bike kept running and I got going again pretty quick. No damage or injuries. I really sucked on the grass track. Napper kicked my butt by 7 minutes and Superbike Mike got me by one minute. I think Napper, Mike, me went 5,6,7 in VetB. Seems like there was a tougher crowd at this race than Marquette. I think maybe more guys came up from the south for this race.

Tom Dixon

Farmer Tom = Face Planter
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 15, 2001
I had an okay ride. I found it quite hard to get into a rhythm (sp?) due to the rough and rutted trail. But what do ya expect on minute 45! All in all, it was another exceptional race with just the right amount of tight, technical, and rough trail to make it challenging. Did I mention that it was dusty!?!?! There was one section where it looked like some quads had made a "race track" in the woods and it was really deep sand that would just blind ya with dust. Hopefully I will do better at Jack Pine.

Hey Napper, thanks for the Red Bull can and the wicked poster. :thumb: Lafferty is just full of wisdom.

Loctite

Jun 1, 2001
Hello All - Able to move a little faster today. What a great race. BMC organized an excellent event. As Father and Son said: "This format is great when you are riding with your buddies"

We traded our #14 minute for #4 and glad we did. We were able to avoid most of the dust and from being pasted by the AA riders. Terry got a stick in the neck that stopped his breathing for a few seconds and he could not see the damage from where all the blood was coming from. After a review at the next check and no major wounds he finshed. John had a shoulder injury that slowed him a bit.

Everything seamed to click for me on Sunday and glad it did as the competition was out in full force in Senior B.

Smit-Dog - thanks for the sponsership plug.

Sparkey, glad you hung in there. I will never forget my first enduro. It was Jack Pine and I thought it would never end.

See you all at Jack Pine,
Craig

barkbuster67

Nov 6, 2002
First a little intro, the Zambon clan, Magoo, and the Smit-dog(who I rescued at the UP300) already know me. They can spread the rumors from there. So Harrison begins with the feast on Saturday night that included enough food for even the dogs, would have hated to be that dogs owner, and Nick providing me with enough of his inside info into the way the world works. Ya know he is always right. I just don't want you talking to Patti to much, Nick. So, Sunday morning rolls around and it's time to ride. I was on 33B with Matt Stavish. At the riders meeting, they said to figure out the pecking order in the first .3 miles(yes, tenths). It took Matt about 10 feet to let the rest of us squids on row 33 to know that he was leading. I followed as best I could for about 100 yards. No, better make that 10. Those guys are fast. The coarse was kinda the way I like it, a little bit of everything. I bill myself as "America's slowest "A" rider. Meaning, I prefer the tight stuff. Much tighter than I anticipated after seeing the 30MPH average for the race. I was still nursing a fractured rib from Marquette, so I was just hoping to finish with a few more National points. I had a little problem passing a certain individual on the minute ahead of me, until I started using my front tire and a certain type of yell, which Magoo knows so well :nener: I also staightened out a small section of trail that had a few poplar trees that were bigger than the ones you can knock over. It wasn't pretty, but when I came out the other end, I was left having to sit on the bike and hold onto my radiator shroud with my knee. Did anyone get the chance to see the Suzuki rider buried in the 10 foot mud hole that everyone else was riding around. I don't think he had barkbusters, which would explain everything. Nick, Patti has you on video, holding up Jordan on the grass track. Magoo, am I to expect a call tonight for technical assistance on clutchs. I'm telling you straight up, go auto, and you'll never go back. There is just nothing like having a 6 speed auto to cheat even more :cool: By the way, does anyone know the results, other than the top ten. When I left I was sitting 6th in Open A. Sounds like everyone had a good time. Later MTR clan

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
I saw the Suzuki stuck in the mud and thought.."dude, what were you thinking". On row 35 I had no problem with any mud. The bridges did help on the one by the road. I am always concerned when you see a lot of spectators. I had problems with the dust in two areas...on the roads between sections (especially after 1st gas and before 2nd gas) and at the beginning of a section, but it did not take long for the view to clear.
I concur that the AA riders are very fast. We rode with McLevy on 35, got passed immediately by Barber on 36, a while later is was Hoess and Fredette on 37.

Just a quick word to the wise....I would not mention Mr. Hoess' name in front of Napper. They had a "collision" initiated by Fred in the final section. I honestly thought I would have to break up a fight at the finish as we waited for the club to collect our score cards.

Magoo

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 1999
bb67, you know "you da man!" Riding with a broken rib, turning down all offers for good painkillers, and still turning in a good score. You get my vote for the IRONMAN award!
Great write up! I forgot about the dog cleaning up our scraps! That'll teach 'em! :ohmy:
I always crack up when we discuss people stuck in mudholes. Now I've been stuck in a few, mind you, but really it was DRY at Harrison! If you got stuck there, you just were not thinking! There were a million "go-arounds" within 10 to 50 feet of any supposed mud on that trail! At my level, taking 10 to 30 seconds to size a mudhole up, look for alternate routes, etc, saves me 10 to 30 minutes of strenuous effort tugging my bike out of the mudhole!
Loctite, good run! I was hoping to be more competiion for you this year, as we were so close last year... I enjoy the friendly rivalry!
F&S, I'll put my money on Napper, I'd bet he's been in a few more "tavern educational discussions" than Fred....

michman

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 7, 2000
Here you go Woodsy. I had a couple of guests stay at the Napper ranch before the Enduro since it was only a 40 minute drive to the start. And for some reason my one cats has not put down the cigarettes since. Huh. Went up the day before to get signed up had some of Fred's great cooking but not before of my duty of Team PTP mechanic was called to duty Fred needed a new heim bearing, Hung out for awhile chated with some folks. Race day while getting around I saw the Team PTP trainee Sparky getting ready with some protein shake for his race day breakfast but to me it looked like he rob the bull semen sperm bank. He did have a big smile after he drank it all. Anyways off to the start the first section not much happen, It was only .03 miles and that Mcleavy guy was long gone. The first section was the least favorite for me. It was some old gravel pit. Heck I think I would have had more fun by putting thumb tacks down my shorts and riding down 10 miles of MI sand whoops. F/S and I deabted who was going to go first and he made me go first not far into this section I got stuck on a hill and fell over with Mike right behind me. Sorry again F/S got going rode ok. Second section no real drama's just having fun and I heard that stroker of F/S coming up on me towards the end as soon as I hit the check I turn around I saw Mauers big smile coming out the woods and yelling like he was at the strip club. Down the rode high fives and more yelling. Much fun. First gas, change goggles, got gas off to loop 2. Not much to report here except there was this free territory trail that was fun. However it was the place of my worse crash of the day. I riding riding along on this two track in 4th gear just tooling along and all of sudden I am having this big yard sale. Sliding , tumbling, in the dust I finally found my bike and I look around trying to figure out what in the heck just happen, then it was quite for a moment and I think I heard Young Ted laughing in the distance so I think it was him that made me crash. Back to gas and off to loop 3. There was a 12 mile section and two 4 mile section to finish. In the first section I caught up to my former friend F/S and he let me by like the gentleman that he can be SOMETIMES but the very next turn I fell like the spode that my mother taught me how to be. Anyways He RAN me over stop ask me if I was ok wave him on as he left I thought I heard him say that was the payback for the hill thing in the first section. The first 4 mile section I rode like a girl during that time of month and without ice cream. The last section was back in the parking area with the grass track. Mcleavy was saying hope he was not last in his class. I'm like yeah what ever and he ends up finishing 9th overall for the day. TOwards the end I was catching up to my new arch enemy (F/S) (just joking you know I still love you just remember your time will come) I heard a rider coming up on me it was was Fred Hoess he had been passing me all day since he was only two rows back so I pull off to the side of the trail and this pecker head cleans me out. So I finish and one of the promoters in taking my score caed and ask's how I like the race. I said it was a great race except that (*^&^*&*&(^(^696(* as I point to Fred Hoess. I was just a little mad and I still hope the piston of his 125 comes off and rests nicely in his nether region for life.

So I like to thank my fellow Team PTPers. FredT for the great pre and post race meals and just for being FredT. Mauer it was a great day of trail riding with you buddy. Sparky you did graet job of finishing and he was even giving the rebel yell at the finish. It must have been that bull semen protein shake. All the MTR's at the race it was great seeing you all again. Heck if we have a fall MTR ride It could be pretty big this year and I know Mauer has been practicing the naked night ride quite a bit.

Woodsy get Kadie ready for a date to come and ride an enduro with us.

A motorcycle ride is a flight from sadness
Napper

nzambon

Apr 19, 2003
Well here comes my 2 cents. first of all its nice to do a easy enduro once and a while. trail and temps were as good as you could get. Napper you can take hoess but then he is from NJ you dont know who he knows. watch out for magoo he has been secretly training with 8time champ DB just a hint rode up the drop off at marq. Never trust a insurance guy right just ask maurer. You guys should have seen bbarels face when I told him he could have all the gas he wanted. 20.00 a gal

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
BB67 - Thanks again! Just glad your GG was up and running that day. I carry a tow-strap, just hoping to return the favor one day. ;)

Napper - Heard a few stories about Fred H up at SDM, and none of them were very nice. Heard a few stories about you as well, but then again this is a family forum. Good ride report too - read it this morning, and it was worth being late to work.

Magoo - Speaking of mud holes, I got stuck in one at the LM. Both ruts. Front end dropped down to the fender. Twice. I waited, thinking someone from the rows behind me would help out, but then realized they were all ahead of me. BB67 sweep - Where were you dude?!

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
michman said:
Sparky getting ready with some protein shake for his race day breakfast but to me it looked like he rob the bull semen sperm bank. He did have a big smile after he drank it all.

Ya know Napper, there are some folks who just plain failed at Writing 201 because of there lack of "word picture" usage.. YOU ARE NOT ONE OF THEM!

michman said:
Sliding , tumbling, in the dust I finally found my bike and I look around trying to figure out what in the heck just happen.. I think I heard Young Ted laughing in the distance so I think it was him that made me crash.

Thats really funny because I usually here church bells ringing when that happens to me - of course, I wouldnt put it past Father Nelson to be the one ringing them :aj:

THANKS TO ALL WHO RESPONDED!!
This is some AWESOME reading!! :yeehaw:
Woodsy

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
Wasn't aware I had that much power or range. I was a good half hour behind you by that time. But then Father Nelson would have more power and range than I would.

Young Ted

Top Bottom