sparkyz

Sep 5, 2006
I just purchased an 03 yz450f and it is my first thumper. I am in the process of replacing the crank, and was wondering how I go about ispecting the head to make sure I won't have any trouble any time soon. I already checked the valve seats by spraying fluid in and seeing if it leaked. What else do I need to check and how do I do it. Also how can you tell when its time to replace the valves, is it when the clearance gets tighter???

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
It's important to disassemble the head and carefully inspect the valve faces, seats, and measure the springs free length (or better yet the spring pressure on a proper tester).

As Pete pointed out the Yamaha service manual is crucial for doing this work.

sparkyz

Sep 5, 2006
I do have the manual. I think I will take it into a local shop and have them inspect it for me and install new valve stem seals. The only thing I know about checking the seats is the fluid leak test, and I could definately measure the spring free length, but I definately don't have the trained eye to pick something out that is wrong. The shop said it would be $45, thats disassembly, hot tanking, inspection, replace seals, and reassembly. Thanks for the help.

Top Bottom