comtec17

Jul 8, 2005
Whats up all!!!!

My name is Richard and I live in Charlotte, NC. I just bought myself a 2005 Yamaha TTR-230 and my son a Kawasaki KLX-110.

I must say that I have not rode for more than 18 years and was excited to get back on and teach my son the things I can remember.

I grew up in SoCal (Covina) and used to ride all the time in the deserts, around Calico ghost town and Ft. Irwin.

If anyone can provide killer sites to get gear for cheap and to help increase my skillz, it would be greatly appreciated....

Keep up the nice work on this site as I will be visiting it daily.

:aj:

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Welcome to the site :cool:

Be sure and go to your User CP and update information relating to your location, type of riding, etc.

Check out the Southern Spodes forum for opportunities to hook up with fellow DRNers.

Again, welcome to the site, and shout if you have any questions!

xsnrg

Jul 20, 2004
From Charlotte, you can easily do a half-day trip to Uwharrie Nat'l Forest (Badin Lake) riding area, or a full day trip up to Brown Mountain (near Morganton, NC). Brown is much better, but a little further. There is another place near Brown Mtn call Brushy Mountain, but is a private place you need to join..well worth it if you think you'd do many day trips... the trails are one-way and they are very well marked and maintained (see my sig for a link). MXSouth (see link to left) has some pretty good deals on gear, but you can also get the basics now and wait until fall/winter when even the local dealerships are trying to clear their racks to make room for latest '06 colors.

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
Welcome to the forum! I live near Salisbury and there are a lot of DRNers in our neck of the woods.

You don't have to JOIN Brushy Mountain Motorsports Park; I've been going there for about 2 years and I've yet to join. Just pay the "daily rider fee" and you're on your way. It is an OUTSTANDING place to ride; over 35miles of trails of varying ability, along with concession stand and climate-controlled bathrooms.

I strongly recommend you check out both Brushy Mtn and TNT; TNT is actually my favorite because they have both trails and multiple MX tracks. Lord willing, I'll take my kids there once we take the training wheels off of the PW50. Unless you and your son are pros, however, do NOT visit Andrews MX park; that place is basically a supercross training facility and wasn't designed for beginning riders.

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
I'd stay away from Uwharrie until you are both real comfortable with riding. The place is full of rocks, quads, jeeps, and Humvees. Off all the places I have ridden, this is the worst. Don't get me wrong, definitely fun when you can get away from the 4 wheeled vehicles, but that is hard to do on the weekends.

Agree on Andrews - not for beginners or trail bikes for that matter.

I think TNT has the best mix for beginning or returning riders. The kids track, intermediate track, flat track, and trails are a blast. Plenty of variety and definitely geared towards the family.

I think Brushy Mountain is next best, Brown a bit more advanced, and then Uwharrie as a last resort as mentioned earlier.

xsnrg

Jul 20, 2004
When we've gone to Uwharrie, it has always been mid-week to avoid the 4x4 traffic and volume of other riders. It is also my least favorite place, but it has some fun aspects as well.

Is TNTs trail system better than Brushy's in your opinion? Brushy does not really have any tracks, so is that why you prefer TNT? I looked at their website you posted above and they don't seem to have a lot in the way of trails compared to Brushy's system. If TNT has a better trail system, it is no further from us coming from Raleigh than is Brushy or Brown.

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
No, I think Brushy Mountain's trail system is a whole lot better overall than TNT's for the experienced rider.

I am just saying that for a guy who is getting back into riding and also teaching a new rider the ropes (my interpretation of the original post), TNT offers quite a variety of tracks/trails that aren't terribly difficult or technical, but are great for building skills/confidence for when you do go to Brushy, Brown or Uwharrie.

I'd recommend a visit to TNT if you haven't been there. I still enjoy riding out there on the trails and have a blast on the intermediate motocross track (actually its closer to a beginner track) especially if some of the guys are there to race with me.

xsnrg

Jul 20, 2004
I'd like to do a little more track riding. In all the years I've ridden, I've taken a total of 1 lap around an MX track. Rather than TNT, though, we'll likely go to ncmotorsportspark.com. It seems almost identical to TNT with numerous styles of track and about 15 miles of trail and it is only 30 minutes from Raleigh. TNT does look like a nice place.

Top Bottom