sniperslayer

Jun 18, 2008
hi guys, new to the forums and just came to see if i could get some advice with a bike I recently purchased, it's a 1984 Honda XR100:

[cant post link :/]

the bike has been sitting outside for a while and there's a little rust here and there but nothing much, it's actually in better shape then i thought

Anyways i've torn a couple peices off already, taken off the tank and washed out all the gas/winter treatment, seat, chain gaurd etc.

I've also ordered the manual from a local shop, so hopefully it will come in tommarow

So...what should i do? i'm good with my hands and have worked on many car engines but never bike motors, i have an XR500 as my main bike but never had to take it apart, When I picked it up it did not run as it's been sitting outside for so long, but kicking it it actually sounded like it was close

so to sum things up, whats my list of things to get done/check on my way to get it running again? and any tips/tricks/products that will make my life easier?

all help very much appreciated

btm1948

Jun 4, 2008
i would make sure you have good compresion and i would probably change the spark plug , and clean out the air filter and carb, and also probably change the oil. i would start with that and start finding any thing else that might be wrong on the bike

Jbgabriel

Feb 23, 2006
If you have over 100 psi compression, fuel, air and spark you shold be good to go. Compression should be much higher than 100 but it should run at that point. After that just go through everything and have fun riding it.

sniperslayer

Jun 18, 2008
excuse my total ignorance but is there any home test to test compression?

i really think it will be fine with a good cleaning but while it's apart I might as well do as much as i can right?

btm1948

Jun 4, 2008
ya if you go to any motorcycle shop or car shop they can get you one its realy easy just screw it in the compresion nossel into you spark plug hole

Top Bottom