Dirtykid

Jul 8, 2002
I couldve sworn i just wrote this post but here we go again. I screwed up some pieces in my old carb and instead of replacing them i just ordered a whole new carb, just cause im like that. Cause you see my bike wasnt starting, well it would start sometimes and then make a low pitch ugly rev and die, and I have been told it could have been due to old gas, which would make sense. So then i messed up those pieces and now i have a new carb and it just keeps gettin worse.

My list of problems:

1) New carb PWK 38 (same as old one) has no solenoid connection place.

2) I swaped some pieces so I could check if my bike would start and it almost started, the engine started turning then died, and then it would not respond, when i would kick you could here the kick wind but its like there was no spark, or something.

3) Spark plug are sparking when i test them, but when i go to start it, it goes once then nothing.

4) Ive got fresh gas, Ive got spark, and my carb is fine but I still get nothing.

Im very frustrated and very confused, someone please help, Im ready to just blow my god damn bike up and forgot the last year i spent working for it.

I just want it to work.

JTurn36178

~SPONSOR~
May 17, 2002
Fuel, spark, and air. Umm.... maybe spark is at the wrong time?
Check flywheel key, stator screws, etc. Next check windings, info should be available from shop or manual.
Just guessing.

Good luck,
Jim

pappa2k

Jul 27, 2003
You sound pretty frustrated dude, but relax, there is always a reason.

You have one reply to check timing, that's good, and since it starts sometimes, and not others, that may be it.
I'm supposing your spark is crisp and blue, if not, check magneto or condensor, they don't go bad often, but they can. Also it would help if I knew what year, just in case it's really old. Have you tried starting fluid into the carb? this will tell you if it's timed correctly (only if it starts of course), but may indicate a weak spark, or too much oil in the gas perhaps, dirty air cleaner? I had a bike once that had a bad pet-**** and had these symptoms, also clogged fuel lines would account for it.

Go over every inch of hose, and wiring from the plug on back. Plugs are cheap as well, also, just because you bought a new carb, doesn't mean you didn't get a bad one, I once worked on a camaro for three days just to discover the new rotor I bought wasn't any good. I got spark, but not strong enough to lite the chump up.

Good luck.

Dirtykid

Jul 8, 2002
Thanks I'll try chekcing that stuff, im just about ready to bring to the shop and tell them to call when they get it running, Its been in pieces all summer, i want to at least ride it before winter comes around.

Dirtykid

Jul 8, 2002
I checked the hoses, cables, and all that and everything seems to be clean and connected, but I have no idea where the flywheel, stator screws or windings are ??

But i just made a discovery which could explain something, when i purchased my bike the salesman guy (biggest schamer ever) gave me a bottle of oil designed for two stroke bikes, and on the bottle theres a measuring thing that shows this much gas and how much oil to put, so anyways i compared the bottle measurements and the manual ones, and the bottle one was like 50 ml off on the ratio (for 5l of gas), and i was wondering if that is a bad thing and maybe thats whats wrong with my bike.

When i freshly installed my carb (i did it twice) it would start first kick and idle a bit then stall, and then it wont start off the kick. But I can jump start it and it starts everytime on the jump starts, and idles really low and when i give it gas it makes a low rumble and eventually dies.

If anyone could help me it would be greatly appreciated, or should i just take her to the shop ?????

thanks

fbonneville

Mar 19, 2003
It really sounds like a float level problem. Had the same exact thing happen to me once and it turns out I'd bent the tab on the float a bit too much and wasn't letting enough gas through allowing the bike to start, run fine until 2nd gear and die. Could not get it restarted until I let it sit a while.

Has that been checked?

Top Bottom