Home insulation, performance and fire retardant Silencer packing

mlhend1

Apr 17, 2002
I have searched through some of the past posts concerning useing home insulation for repacking a silencer. I went to my local Kawasaki dealer to get insulation. The packing in my FMF silencer is a rolled up sheet of insulation. The stuff (MSR Brand) they tried to sell me looks like a bag of fluff and not a sheet. The dealer said I probably needed 2 bags of it at almost $18.00/bag. IS the "fluffy" stuff better in performance and durability? Shoot, can't I use home insulation without the foil backing? Is more Dense insulation better? Is thicker better? What should I buy at Lowes? How about the issue of being fire retardant?
Thanks for your help

nectar

Sep 11, 2002
...the pink stuff works fine...I've been using if for years with no problems...I just wrap it tight w/ a 3, or 4 strips for masking tape....don't use steel wool, casue that will burn....

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
IMO, the stringy MSR 'silent sport' type stuff lasts the longest. It's more expensive than Home Depot insulation, but the time and hassle of re-packing is worth somehting, too.

I'll bet you can find the stringy stuff cheaper than $18/bag your dealer charges, and I think 1 bag should be more than enough (it is for the FMF TC on my bike).

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
The purpose made stuff does last longer then the standard pink stuff but you can get small sheets of high temp fiberglass made for ovens and such, Be warned it is NOT the nice comfy stuff that your use too, it is the old fashioned nasty stuff so use gloves and a long sleeved shirt. I get mine from Menards (local version of Home depot) and it lasts longer then the pink stuff and only sets you back a few dollars for the sheet that will do around 3 repacks. Now I have not used it for a few years cause the stock KDX silencer does not need it but it worked well on my previous bikes.

razrbakcrzy

Aug 12, 2004
try the fmf website i got mine (1) bag of reqular insul type about $8.00 the stringy stuff about 10.00 i think shipping was $3.00

jim

Top Bottom