How can I prevent Alpinestars boot plastic from dry rot Cracking?

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
I know things won't last forever but I want to know the best way to preserve boot plastic. I have a pair of AlpineStars Tech 8 boots that have actually a low amount of use on them. The blue plastic is cracking not from impact, but from just dry rot cracking. I have boots (non AStar) that are older than these boots that show no signs of this type of failure. The boots are about 8 years old.

What I want to know is, does anyone have a procedure that they use to keep this from happening to their boots? Do you spray them with Silicone, wipe them down with something special? Just curious.

It just is really a shame that all the leather on the boot is in perfect condition, the soles are fine, just the plastic is coming apart. I am planning to get a new pair of Tech 3 All terrain boots to replace these and want to see if there is anything I can do differently with the new ones. Any ideas??

These are just two areas. There are more.

Attachments

• P1290002.jpg
    P1290002.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 317
  • IMG_1412.jpg
    IMG_1412.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 289

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
It seem that bright colored plastics seem to do that more than natural/white/black but maybe that's just me. I had really good luck using 303 Protectant when I had a boat but haven't been in a boat shop in years so I rant out.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
armor all w/uv protectant comes to mind ??? just an idea though.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
That is exactly why we will never buy another pair of alpinestars. had the same problem a few years back when Spider was using Tech 6s so he got Gearne which he wore for 2 seasons on each pair without a problem. Last season he destroyed one boot in a crash and needed boots quick. Nobody carried Gaernes local anymore that he could try on and didn't want to order hoping for a fit so we bought Tech8s. 3 months use and the plastic is cracked in several places.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I have always been with Alpinestars, since no more Hi Points. I even got used to the 10's, loved them eventually. But a guy gave me a black pair of Gaernes, perfect from day 1.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
Contact Alpinestar and ask them, and how much to fix them?
AS said they were unfixable. They will give me a good deal on a new pair so I want to figure out a way to keep those in good shape....... if possible. I will be getting them in Black if the color matters.

I wouldn't mind getting a pair of Gearne boots but this deal is really good.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
I must preface this by saying that I have 10+ year old boots that show no signs of this problem (AXO and THOR). These Alpinestars are 7 or 8 years old.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
go see Gepetto, he will work miracles with them

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Plastic weld the cracks, it's just protective / decorative plates anyway.

wake_rider

Feb 21, 2007
The last two pair of Alpine Stars that I've owned have torn apart entirely too soon, like less than 45 hours of use. Since then, I've been riding in Gaerne SG10's and I have more than 35 hours or so on them without even the slightest show of use, other than scuffs and such, but they have no separation, cracks, or splits anywhere and the sole compound is holding up better than any pair I've ever worn (and the soles are replaceable).

I also have a buddy that's wearing the same Sidi Crossfires that he's owned for the past 4 years. Now, he's by no means a guy that puts a lot of wear and tear on his gear because, well to be honest, he's just painfully slooowwww. That being said, those boots are still dirty from 4 years of riding, but every seam is holding together.

I had a pair of Alpinestar Tech 7's for less than 2 months (probably only 5 rides, or so) that the entire heel section that's bonded to the boot came off. I'll only buy stitched-on soles from here on out, and never again will I buy a set of Alpinestars.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
BTW, the AXO boots I have are, (now that I count the years), are 18 years old and they have no plastic cracking. The soles are shot but all the plastic is fine. I am getting the Tech 3 with the sew on sole. It will probably be my last pair of AlpineStar boots but if these last two years, I'll have my money out of them.

pesky nz

Sep 13, 2010
E-bay the alpine stars (no good selling them on here now we all know they fail) and get Gaerne SG10 or better, mine have no defects after 5 years of ride jet wash ride jetwash ignore abuse etc. and the soles will last much longer also

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
my T8's were typo'd and I got em for $110 in '04. I hit them with the powerwasher now and again when theyre clumped with mud. other than that i might spritz em with armor all once a year for the heck of it because it sure aint going to get em prettied up. they have held up amazingly well except where the bike landed on my heel and attempted to put me out of commission

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
ellandoh said:
i might spritz em with armor all once a year for the heck of it
That might be a good thing. Maybe that is what helps yours last. I guess something like that might help.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I used armor all once. It worked great, till I quit using it. It was like the material dried out? Could have been coincidental? I prefer function over looks any day.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Having always heard "Alpinestars are great!", I've owned a few pairs, but the stitching on the leather would rip letting water in, the buckles were always coming undone/breaking, and I could only get about 1-2 years out of a pair.

Sidi- these boots last forever! Even though I replaced the soul twice, and numerous toe clips, I got 7 years out of my last pair, never broke a single buckle, and they're totally waterproof.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
I used armor all once. It worked great, till I quit using it. It was like the material dried out? Could have been coincidental? I prefer function over looks any day.
believe me it isnt for looks, i use it because it claims to have UV protection. also use it on the tires hoses seals and plastic on the bike every time it gets put up, also the helmet and chest protector. dont know if it is helping or if ive wasted my time, but it gives me a little peace of mind, maybe im just :coocoo: though

i can say my equipment was all bought at the same time and all looks great, no sun faded plastics etc etc :cool:

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
I find furniture polish helps somewhat on plastics (fenders, chest protectors, and boots). My previous alpinestars did crack, my black Sidi's and black Gaerne's havent (3 + years on each boot).

Top Bottom