MikeJ

Apr 15, 2000
Help

Help

I'm thinking of going back to a two stroke after 13 years of riding four strokes and am looking at a 2002 Husky WR360. I'm an aggresive but older (48) trail rider, enduro racer and sometime hare scrambler. I would apprieciate any opinions on the Husky, or the KTM 380EXC. I'm over 6 feet and a little on the porky side (6'5", 285lbs), so I don't think a 250 would be right for me and the Husky's are better suited for my size.

Thanks in advance

OZ_dirtrider

Jul 2, 2001
MikeJ, excellent choice!!!
I've owned one for 3 years now and absolutely love it! It has the power of the two stroke yet the tractability of a four stroke. If you combine this with the weight, you can stay and even go quicker than the majority of thumpers out there!
If you do buy one, pay attention to the jetting, l went down one needle as mine was hard to start when hot!
Also, loctite the kickstart lever as they tends to loosen up.
In fact, the only problem l had with the bike is the excessive vibrations from the motor.

J

cactusreid

Jan 13, 2003
mike: the wr 360 is probably a pretty good choice for you. It's got lots of power,and husky's are good handleing bikes.they have a few quirks, as all Euro bikes seem to,but nothing to serious. I know I ride a GasGas EC 300. the ktm has more brute horsepower,but it's a lot more tireing than the husky.katoooms seem to deliver their power right in the middle of the powerband. I prefer a bike with a hit up on the top end of the rpm,then if your feeling lazy or off your game that day you can short shift the bike and just cruise instead of getting beat up/yanked around by the bike. My .02 cents-good luck.

COLEMANAPP

~SPONSOR~
Feb 19, 2002
I have a 93 Husky 360 and just love the power delivery. Pulls at lower rpms like a 4 stroke and the transmission is best I've had with the wide ratio 6 speed. Great in the woods and hills. Equally as capable in the wide open spaces. Get it.

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
hey mike,

i've ridden some of these bikes as the local dealer races & sells them. i really liked them, esp. the last 1, an '02. the '02 had tighter steering than earlier years. it felt a little cramped to me, hi footpegs/low bars--but that is easy to fix. lots of smooth, torquey power. i had 2 complaints: it takes a huge stomp to start it, something i would not want to do when exhausted at the end of an enduro or long ride. the australian importer i understand has developed a decomp kit to take care of this.

the other complaint was that the ridge where the shroud meets the tank is kind of sharp, rubbed my knees pretty bad--may not bother you. or maybe also easy to fix. i know of atleast a couple of these bikes for sale here in mempho.

cujet

Aug 13, 2000
I still have my 94 Husky 360. I held on to it so long because it is really that good. How many 10 year old bikes do you know of that are still competitive?

The late model ones are even better.

For about $250.00 Aus dollars, you can get the automatic compression release cylinder head. I want one! From what I understand it makes the bike about as easy to start as a 125. The key with this kit is the Automatic part. There is no manual lever or ritual to go through. Just kick and go.

I eliminated the vibration problem on my bike with a nice aftermarket CR500 seat foam and a set of Pro Taper bars w/CR250 mounts.

I love the bike. The power delievery is ideal as it will pull right off idle and tractor up the steepest hill. Yet it will pull hard in the revs too.

I ported mine and installed a Kehin PWK 39mm carb as the stock one was difficult to jet correctly. That increased the HP also.

I use a FMF fatty pipe with very good results.

If you get this bike, make sure to take into account the aftermarket goodies you will likely purchase to get it up to KTM 380 performance levels.

Chris

Amadeus

Apr 10, 2003
Mines 10 yrs old as well and I still love the thing! Yes, as stated before it doesnt handle as well as the newer models but it still RIPS up the trails and even jumps really well on the tracks. My only complaint with the bike is its hard shifting from 1st to 2nd. I have to double pump the shifter to get it in. All other gears are great. If anyone has any fresh ideas on this one PLEASE let me know.

500cc

Jun 6, 2003
Anyone know why Husky dropped the 360 after 02'. I know everyone loved it. Infact, when I thought about getting rid of my KX500, I wanted a WR360 in the worst way. Here's one good thought. I don't know anyone who has owned a Husky and said they hated it. Like most euro bikes, they are extreamly relieable. If I didn't love my 500 so much, I'd be looking for a 02' WR360 and pay to get that decomp kit. Not sure if they were available in the U.S.

BTW, cyclenews.com just posted a writeup on the new 04 Husky's and KTMs. Check it out!!!

MikeJ

Apr 15, 2000
Thanks for all the input, it confirmed most of what I was thinking. I'll be selling my thumpers this summer and trying to find a leftover or slightly used WR360.

Mike J
'98 TE410
'00 DRZ400E

COLEMANAPP

~SPONSOR~
Feb 19, 2002
Our St. Louis dealer, Donelson Cycles, has an 02 for $6320. Its been sitting there a while cause last summer they were trying to sell it to me and were talking a pretty hefty trade in on my 88 Husky 125. They may be ready to deal on that one. There were a few used ones around for sale. Let us know what you find.

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
I've been eyeing that WR at Donelson's for over a year now. Keep thinking they'll drop the price, but not yet. Across the floor they had a couple of '99 Ducati's (brand new) marked down about 15%. Guess the Husky will need to set there another couple years.:laugh:

Asked them yesterday, they don't plan to take anymore new Husqvarna's for awhile. They do intend to continue providing full support for parts & service.

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
The 02' w/auto compression release is GREAT! It's like starting a 125! In addition it had the Magura hydraulic clutch. The bike was great, unfortunetly though I bought it used and it was USED so I sold it. The power was perfect, everything was on the bottom unlike the KTM which also vibrated to much.

MikeJ

Apr 15, 2000
I want to thank everone for their inputs, but I'm not going to be able to buy the Husky WR360. They just announced that they're going to close the plant where I work in a couple of months, so my priorities have changed. I will re-evaluate my options once I get back on my feet.

Mike

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
Get some Dual stage reeds rejet it a bit and it will pull real good all over . Take the steering stem apart and tape or use shrink wrap on the slot cut in the stem shaft to keep water out of the Steering Head bearings because if you dont the mnew bearings will cost you like $100. Theyre pretty good bikes real strong motors.

Top Bottom