WildBill

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Mar 29, 2002
I hope you guys don’t mind my rant. I know I don’t post a lot, but I do read almost every post and enjoy DRN and the MTR’s especially. I needed to vent my sadness and frustration. :ugg:

Yesterday I lost my best friend. It was supposed to be a fun, Sunday trip down to a Hare Scramble track near Maumee, OH. I was planning to go until my ride backed out and I could not physically get my bike to the meeting point in Plymouth. So I opted out since we were planning to ride the next weekend up north. The four guys who did go made it down to Ohio only to discover that the track closed down. Not to be deterred, they headed to the Maumee ORV area just a few miles away to salvage a ride for the day. Not quite sure what happened, the guy that found him, Rob, a co-worker and friend of his for 8 years, is still pretty shook up. It appears that the back end started swapping on him in some fairly big whoops and he hit a tree on the side of the trail. He was knocked out, but revived and was talking to Rob while the other two went for help. He succumbed to shock from the internal injuries and was pronounced on the side of the trail by EMT’s.

He was a good trail rider and didn’t ride over his head. He’s the guy that got me to get all the safety gear when I switched from a quad to a bike three seasons ago. He picked up his latest bike this past spring, a new YZ450WR and he would always grin and hit the e-button at the most sarcastic times. He wore all the good gear, Sidi, Arai, etc., and carried a huge backpack with water and all the safety needs for the trails.

He recently bought a used bike for his dad and they went trail riding up at the Meadows staging area of Bull Gap last weekend. We were planning to ride Evart and north of Cadillac this weekend and were looking to ride Drummond next month.

In talking with his dad, he is thinking of spreading his ashes up north on the trails in the Mio / Rose City area. It will be difficult to be up north or on the trails without him. He was my best friend, practically my twin brother and a great guy. He had that “give you the shirt off his back” mentality and was always helping someone with something. He enjoyed riding and was always ready to go if the opportunity presented itself. I don’t quite understand it yet, but all I can imagine is that God needed a Cadillac mechanic or a dirtbiker and he got both yesterday.

As Ole Woodsy says, to ride is to live, to ride with my brothers, is to live FULFILLED. :ride:

Michael Vellardita
8/12/69 – 8/22/04

UP Magoo

Apr 4, 2002
WildBill said:
As Ole Woodsy says, to ride is to live, to ride with my brothers, is to live FULFILLED. :ride:

Michael Vellardita
8/12/69 – 8/22/04

Sorry for your, and for Mikes family's loss.
RIP Michael.

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
Pass on to Mike's Dad that to spread the ashes in the woods, is an honor. It has been done with others who enjoy dirt/trail riding. It is like a perpetual memorial.
Young Ted

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
Sorry to hear about Mike's passing.

My condolences to all his family and friends.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
WildBill (and everyone), Please forgive me if I get long winded here…
My condolences to Michael’s family and other friends at such a HUGE loss! Words cannot convey the grief I am sure everyone is feeling.
Bill, your account of the passing of your best friend, a fellow riding buddy to all of us, brought up some REAL strong memories for me. I too lost my best friend on a bike in May of 1974. We grew up playing marbles, fighting bullies and riding together, I helped him and his Dad build Grand Haven Arctic Cat (gone now but was the Hodaka Dealership in Grand Haven) located across the highway from Lake Cycle. He and I started on mini's as kids, later in life rode MANY MX's and Harescrambles together - dueling with the guys from Lake Cycle (Penton) with all our might!! A touch of irony is that his name was Michael (Mike) too..
I will tell you from a best friends stand point that the grief you feel lessens over time but NEVER really goes away (and I dont think it should). BEST FRIENDS ARE HARD TO FIND! Truely, the sharing of our sport with someone as special as a best friend touches the very fabric of who and what we are!!
My hope and prayers are that you will discover, as I have, that the memories of GREAT times, and even some of hard times, will comfort you in the future!
By the way, you have NOTHING to ask forgiveness for – what you did is NOT ranting, what you did is HUMAN!!
Thanks for sharing with us!
Woodsy

miScott

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Oct 19, 2003
That is terrible news! I'm very sorry to hear of the loss.

My best friend and his son were riding at the ORV the day before.

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
God Speed Michael.

Nestrick

Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 6, 2003
WildBill

I too wish to echo the words of Woodsy and others who have responded ... my condolences to Michael's family and friends, and especially to you in light of your special relationship with him. Losing a best friend is never easy nor something you'll ever forget ... Mike will forever be with you, especially when you're out in the woods riding ... you for sure will sense his presence whenever the situation stirs up memories ... for a while such incidents may bring sorrow, but on the whole, they will bring much more happiness in the future knowing that he is there with you in spirit. Before his passing, you may have ridden alone occasionally ... but from now on, you will never ride alone again ... Mike will surely be there with you, always!

terry nestrick

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
God Speed to Michael. As Ted said, it is an honor to have his ashes scattered in his favorite riding areas - both to him and to the rest of us. Keep him in your mind, your heart and your prayers every time you ride and his memory will live on! I know that is all I would wish for - and I am sure he would as well.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
My thoughts and Prayers too Michael's family and friends..
GodSpeed Michael..
Rick

Factory

Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 19, 2002
I am terribly sorry to hear of the loss. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and his family.

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Bill,

My heart and prayers go out to you and Michael's family. To lose a close friend has got to be a major loss, and such a shock because it sounds like Michael tried to be careful rider.

As time heals, try to remember Michael in the good times, and he'll live on with you all of your days.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Sad news. I'll pray for his family and friends.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Bill - I am shocked and saddened reading your post. To die so young... ironically, while enjoying a sport that makes you feel most alive. You read about stories like this from time to time, and just shake your head and wonder why. We all gear up "for the crash, not the ride", but even yesterday at the Jack Pine, with trees (cement columns, really) whizzing past within inches, I kept thinking... man, at this speed, a little piece of plastic is of little consequence. At the very least, your friend Mike was feeling that incredible adrenaline rush of a great trail ride, in the woods, in the company of friends. Your loss is felt by many here.

Please post some info on services for your friend.

Last edited:

Bizerk

Feb 28, 2004
:ugg: Very, very sad to hear about the loss of your good friend. I always worry about my brother when we are out riding. He is just recovering from a broken collar bone but could have been much worse. I am truely sorry to hear about this bad news. :(

WildBill

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Mar 29, 2002
Thanks to everyone for all the kind words. I will be passing them on to Mike's family. He was the cornerstone (instigator?) of every ride and it will be difficult to hit the trails again. But, we will ride again because that is what he would like.

I will post the arrangements when I speak with Mike's dad. I should know something by tonight.

2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
Bill,

Thanks for sharing your loss with us, it's an excellent reminder to all of us to cherish our loved ones both here and now gone. I sympathize with your loss and offer my condolences to his family.

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Sorry to hear of the loss of your friend Bill. Godspeed Michael.

WildBill

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Mar 29, 2002
Funeral Arrangements for Mike Vellardita

No viewing, service, mass or flowers - Mike didn't want anyone blubbering over him

Friends and family are welcome to gather this Friday from 5 -9pm at:
Harris Funeral Homes
15451 Farmington Rd.
Livonia, MI 48154
(734) 422-6720

In lieu of flowers, a donation to the Cycle Conservation Club 0f Michigan in Mike's name is being planned. I spoke with Bill Chapin this moring and a purpose has not yet been decided upon.

Thanks again to all,

Ride On :ride:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I share your sadness for a friend. I made a simular post in April of 99 and feel the emotion even now. This tragic accident is a bypoduct of our sport, irregardles of our attention to detail and preparedness. My prayers are with the family and friends, like yourself, that are experiencing a huge, untimely loss.
Godspeed, Mike Vellardita. :(

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom