I Quit Smoking,2 more laps of stamina......!

cranker

May 14, 2002
I thought this might help anyone thinking about quitting.After smoking on & off for twenty something years I finally stopped.
I have always worked out steady to improve my endurance, but the single most effective gain was quitting smoking by far.I am 40 + years old & racing Vet classes, my performance improved after just 2 weeks of quitting.It has allowed me to run almost @ 100% from start to finish,(vet riders there is still hope) just can't say enough how much it has improved my riding, just wish I had done it 15 years ago.
Younger riders take note!

Last edited:

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
So what you are really saying is ......... Now ya really smokin :)

Don't ever go back bud !

Moto Squid

~SPONSOR~
Jul 22, 2002
It just amazes me every time guys at the races are smoking away before their motos, it's even better when after a moto, right after the helmet comes off, he grabs for the lighter. :|

Congrats on quiting...way to go :thumb:

max621

Jul 12, 2002
Hardest thing in the world, quitting. I'm still struggling with it. You gotta want to quit so much and it's so easy to give in to those cravings. If you don't want anything to ever control you, stay away from cigarettes. As Keith Richards said, "Heroin is easier to kick than smoking". Believe it!

cranker

May 14, 2002
Thanks guys for the support, beleive me I need all I can get.I'm sure others who are trying to quit feel the same also.

P.S. AVOID cocktail hour when first trying to quit,all my attempts at quitting in the past were foiled by happy hour. :whiner:

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Congrats on quitting :thumb: I quit on july3rd , smoked for 20 years.. Now i don't get "winded" while doing laps, just get arm pump, but im working on that..
MAX621, i went through a 7 week program put out by the American Lung Assoc, its called "Smoking Cessations" it's worth a shot.. Good Luck!!
Rick

G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
I remember seeing in a cycling mag an old tour de france picture of french riders passing a butt from bike to bike, right before a big climb! They claimed it 'opened up their lungs' and improved their performance :confused:
Congrats on quitting!

TRexRacing

Jul 23, 2002
I quit in August just after buying my CRF.It does seem alot easier to run hard for longer times.For some reason quitting's been easy for me.Congrats to everyone who stopped. :thumb:

Top Bottom