I tried a pan but guess it didn't work

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
This weekend we had a bad overcast dark day so I thought I could do some blurs on the background this was the best I came up with

Attachments

• az4a.jpg
    az4a.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 245

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Right idea Dave, It takes lot's of effort to get panning right. I'm still trying to get my panning technique where I like it. Your shutter speed of 1/250th is a bit fast to get the blur effect, I usually use 1/80 or 1/100 at the fastest.

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
My only advice coming from a beginner? Take LOTS of pics of the subject. I took like 40 of the below pic and only have like 3 that are worth while. I figure if I keep practicing I'll only get better. :)

Attachments

• IMG_0617.jpg
    IMG_0617.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 245

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Just keep practicing Dave, find a spot where he is on a straightaway for a bit and pan with him, just like shooting geese or ducks you need to follow thru. Just recalled though that the 300D doesn't have servo focusing in anything but sports mode so I think you may be behind the 8 ball for this technique with your camera.

will pattison

Sponsoring Member
Jul 24, 2000
a couple of things i think, but am not sure of....

panning is easier in a section where the riders are hauling the lumber. u can use a higher shutter speed but still get the effect. that's also why all the race car purists at potn and fred squawk about "frozen wheels" - they don't understand a.) what makes a good moto shot, or b.) how hard it is to get one.

and 2nd, my next panning effort will probably include some neutral density filtering. that way i don't have to wait for an overcast day!

wp.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Most sports shooter sites or sections of sites are full of the same old car shots day after day... face it, cars are easy to shoot (large / contrasty) and usually very colorful. You are right, most have no idea how hard it is to get a good moto shot from a technical and comp. standpoint. I'm a believer that unless you ride or used to ride, you have no idea how to get a good shot and probably wouldn't know a good one if you saw it.

kenc1959

Sep 15, 2006
Now it all falls into place for me. I have the panning down to a science but not the shutter speeds. Been to 2 races (first 2 ever) took over 3000 images many came out great, sharp and better than expected. I just wasnt getting that blurred effect.

BTW I am new here and new to motocross photography. I am very encouraged with the results and with the comments made by the riders I photograph. BTW I never rode but watch moto quite a bit.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom