Jacob88

Mar 12, 2003
I recently bought a stiffer race tech spring and asked my local shop to replace the old one along with changing my seals (had oil leak) fill nitrogen and do whatever else they could to make it like new. The bike is a 98 rm250. I removed the suspension unit from the frame and brought it in waited a week put it back on went riding and it leaked! That same night I was pissed about it and wanted to see if I could figure out what happened. My owners manual made it simple for me to tear it down to inspect the o-rings and anti friction metal. O.k. here is my problem, the manual goes no further in explaing how to change the seals. Where can I find a manual that fully explains every last piece and possible repair on that shock. I know if I had the proper book I could order my own seals and make my own repairs. Anyway, I brought it back down to the shop the next morning and they said they would order a new seal and redo it for free. I really need someone to tell me how I can get books that not only explain that problem in full detail but also every other part on that bike. Thank you

TX21

Dec 31, 2002
Tell me about it!! I am still trying to do my own seals. I have a Clymer manuel I bought off of e-bay for 15 bucks. Its the best step-by-step book you can buy IMO . Do you have a seal driver? If you can take them all apart then all you really need is one of those. I made one out of PVC pipe because I am cheap. Good luck!!

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
The "Book" doesn't exist. You justr find bits & pieces here & there --DIrt Bike Mag, Dirt Rider Mag, factory Service Manual [NOT the owners manual that comes with the bike]. I just installed RT Gold Valves in myshock and was pretty impressed with the video included. It has in depth- step by step disassembly, inspection, rebuild, GV installation, reassembly, and a very informative section just on seals. It also shows you any special tools needed and in most cases how to make those tools. The only thing really lacking is a discussion on re-valving --that is, creating your own shim stack arrangements. [Now, that's the "book" I'm looking for]

Top Bottom