DougTx

~SPONSOR~
Oct 5, 2008
XR400 CRF Thoughts

I have a 2002 XR400R.

If you want to ride the trail, lug around, ride at damn near 1 mph and not have the bike stall and then give it a crack of throttle to get out on some power the XR400R is your bike.

It has not hit I promise you but will hustle my heavy ass up a hill no sweat.

I know you think the XR400 is heavy and 255 is about right for the bike.

However take a look at the CRFxxxX series. The 250X runs about 230 and the 450X is about (you guesssed it) 255.

You get electric start and some other things on the CRF like more power and performance but since you stated you are not interested in that you also get Shimmed valve adjustments every 20 hours (about $325 or so for the recomended 20 hour service but that is oil and filter etc too) as well as supposedly more frequent top end jobs... as much as you claim to lug a bike may not be that much of a problem.

The XR400 has no electric start, it is top heavier but from what I am told they are easier to maintain and last a long time. (I had a few issues with mine but that was from prior owner...once straigtened out mine is golden)

I am looking at getting a CR250 2 smoke for track riding but a solid XR400 for a decent price is not easy for me to find so I will be holding on to mine.

I would like a newer 4 stroke for the track riding but that wouldbe out of my budget so a 2 smoke it is (the "HIT" is not something I cherish either, I like smooth and predictable power band of a 4 stoke but money doesn't grow on trees so I am looking for a 99-2000 CR250.

Give the XR400 a ride before you count it out. It is a rediculously easy bike to ride and handle. The weight can be dealt with given the circustances you describe..that is how I rode mine for the first 5-6 months. (I got on an MX track and am sick now, I love it , it is really fun)

If you are going CRF250X I would not for this reason. Used in Dallas a 450X is not that much more money and it will be better powerered and suspended to handle your weight. I am 6'1" and 255 so I know where you are coming from.

Enjoy man and best of luck...these are days of kings we live when the issues we have are finding the best dirt bikes for us... days of kings...

:cool:

Top Bottom