Increasing electrical power output

sbruton

Oct 1, 2001
Hi All!

I'm looking for information or advice on how to increase the electrical power output, so that I can run a brighter head-light.

I have put a UFO Twin halogen headlight assy (2 x 35W bulbs) on my KDX 220 and want to run both lights simultaneously....At the moment I can only run a single light.

Is there a lighting coil available or instructions how to do a stator rewind?

Thanks in advance!

Shane
Ottawa, ON

:silly:

KDX220rm

Uhhh...
Jun 3, 2002
I would talk to Rickey Stator. He rewinds stators for a stronger wattage output. He advertises in the back of most dirtbike magazines.

Sage

dirtbike riding roadracer
Mar 28, 2001
there's a 75w lighting coil avaible for the KDX's, It retails for under $90.00 but who pays retail? whats R.S. charge to rewind a stator?

jimicarl

Aug 7, 2001
100 Watts!

New gifts I've recently bestowed upon Ol' Gouge, are a 100 watt lighting coil and Acerbis DHH (dual halogen headlight) system. This was a quick and painless decision after trying to find my way in the dark with a stock headlight that wouldn't outshine the glow from a dimming cigarette. Had it not been for that kind fellow on his very-well-lamp-bestowed WR426 right behind me, I'd certainly have strayed off the trail more than 12 or 13 times.

I used Baja Designs for the work. Even though the DHH system only needs 75 watts, for the extra $30 (and another over-sized headlight system), I could now illuminate a Friday night high-school football game! Baja Designs provided very quick turn-around, even with the September 11th related transportation problems. Cost was more than reasonable. i think that the whole shebang (including shipping) ran about $175.

Send them your stator assembly. They'll return it with the new coil assembled, the old coil in tow, and excellent instructions for installation.

The DHH system is stupid-easy to install, even with the W.E.R. over-the-fender, get-in-the-way-of-the-number-plate type of steering damper. It also is available from Baja Designs.

Ol' Gouge is happier. I'm happier.

Remember..., if your steed is without gouges, you're not trying hard enough!

'99 KDX 220

buffmaster

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 11, 2001
Depends on how mechanically adept you are. You can either go w/their advice(at the moment, my preferance) or you can check out the smart guy forum(Adv. Tech.) and do a search(use either stator or coil). They covered it awhile back. Sounded easy, yet tedious. Good luck.

sbruton

Oct 1, 2001
Thanks everyone for the excellent feedback....

Now I have a couple of avenues to check out. The Baja Designs route sounds like the easiest route. However, since I'm a cheap bas*&^% and will have to pay in CDN $ (which makes $175 USD roughly $1,000, 000 CDN) I may look into rewinding the coil myself :)

Thanks again!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom