lostboys

Jan 19, 2007
I'm thinking of moving my son up from his crf 50. He just turned 9 and wants to start racing. He is a little short in the legs and I think seat height may come into issue. I found a good deal on a KX 60 and thought maybe since it is about 2 inches shorter than a 65 it may work a little better for him. I know the 65 will have more power and I have a good deal on that as well. He's a pretty good rider and picked up riding his 50 quick. Either way, are there still kids out there racing the 60's with the 65's. Any help on this would be great.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
We have lots of kids that are competitive on KX60s in our area. Remember he is moving up from a great play bike into his first race bike and there will be a big learning curve. Also let him progress at his speed and not your perception of how he should be doing. If he gets track time and is having fun the rest will fall in place

lostboys

Jan 19, 2007
thanks guys. That was kinda of my thought to go with the 60 to get him a little track time and see how he does and if that is really what he wants to do. Worst case is he masters it in a year and I sell it to get a 65

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
If you look alot of the KTM65sx are winning the race. I would get him one of those and let him grow into it.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I'd get him the KX60. Heck, it's virtually unchanged since 1982, so there are a plethora of hopup parts out there, and you can probably pick up a used one cheap before sinking the jingle into a 65

Dewster

Feb 4, 2002
I got my oldest, now 10, a KX60 about 3 years ago because he was riding the XR50 into the ground. He was on his tip toes and picked up the clutch thing pretty quick. The KX60 has softer suspension which I find is better for the woods. He's just now riding it to it's potential. The bike is fully stock. I haven't even changed the rings and it has the same amount of compression as it did 3 years ago. These bikes are bullet proof. I just recently purchased a 2003 RM60 for my 8 yr old and he loves it. Good suspension, smooth power. He can dump the clutch at just over idle and it won't stall. It's a very good bike to teach a kid clutching and get accustomed to 2 stroke power after coming off of a XR50. It will be a sad day in my life when I have to get rid of the 60's. :(

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
I have not seen any really competetive racers on 60's but I have seen them on the track. They do seem to run well. For a new racer, I don't see why you shouldn't get one. You will likely find that you have to move to a 65 after a bit of experience. When the time comes, you can usually find a good deal on a used KX or RM65. I think I saw one for $1200 somewhere in the past week.

JGrossijr

Dec 29, 2004
We have both. A '97 KX60, and an '03 KX65. The 65 is a superior bike. I don't think that there is a big power difference, and there is not a 2" difference in seat height. The 65 vibrates less, has much better suspension, disc brakes, a longer wheelbase, and has a broader power band. It's easier and more pleasant to ride, and at the races that means faster.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I don't think anyone is arguing the superiority of the 65, but for a starter bike I'd still go with a used 60 so you don't have a lot of money into something they can beat the snot out of for a while.

Top Bottom